Table of Contents
Page 52 - Page 94
SOME DESCENDANTS OF JANE BRACEWELL (1645-1713)
ROBERT ELEY III, SON OF REBECCA (BRACEWELL) ELEY
1. Robert Eley III, son of Jane (BRACEWELL) Stokes and second husband Robert Eley II, married Martha Daughtie. Their children:
A. Robert Eley IV E. Eli (Edward) Eley
B. Alice Gale Eley F. Ann Eley
C. Martha Eley G. William Eley
D. Rebecca Eley
E. Eli (Edward) Eley
F. Ann Eley
G. William Eley
Robert Eley IV, Son Of Robert Eley III
1. Robert Eley IV, eldest son of Robert Eley III and Martha Daughtie, and gt-grandson of Reverend ROBERT BRACEWELL, Sr., married Alice Gale in 1732 (?). Their children:
A. Sarah Eley C. Elizabeth Sykes Eley
B. Mary Bryant Eley D. Alice Eley
2. Alice Eley, daughter of Robert IV and Alice, married Hardy Darden. Their children:
A. Hardy Darden, Jr. D. Dempsey Darden
B. John Darden E. Elisha Darden
C. Jonas Darden F. Alice Darden
3. Alice Darden, daughter of Alice Eley and Hardy Darden, married James M. Holland. The children of Alice and James:
A. Hardy Darden Holland B. Alice Holland
4. Hardy Darden Holland, son of Alice and James, married Jane (?). Their daughter:
5. Sarah Holland, daughter of Hardy and Jane, married William Gray Gwaltney. William was born in the Isle of Wight. Their children:
A. William Gwaltney D. Sally Gwaltney
B. Oliver Gwaltney E. Oceana Gwaltney
C. Frank Gwaltney
6. Oceana Winfred Gwaltney, daughter of Sarah and William, married Samuel Edwin West, a Confederate soldier. They had six children:
A. Elliott West married Mary Hunnicutt.
B. Sarah West's first husband was Edwin Warren, and second marriage was to George W. Brown.
C. Mollie West married Nathaniel Berryman.
D. James Thomas West married Elizabeth Jones.
E. Eugene Gordon West married Oneta Hardin.
F. Grace West married James Robbins MacLamroc.
7. Grace West, daughter of Oceana and Samuel, married James R. MacLamroc. James was born February 10, 1909. The children of Grace and James:
A. Julian Gwaltney MacLamroc, born February 10, 1904.
B. James Gwaltney Westwarren MacLamroc, born January 19, 1905.
C. Virginia MacLamroc, born November 9, 1907.
8. James Gwaltney Westwarren MacLamroc, son of Grace and James, was born January 19, 1905 in Greensboro, North Carolina. On January 19, 1945 he married Maxine Pugh, who was born October 18, 1919, Gray's Chapel, Randolph County, North Carolina. Their children:
A. Alan G.W. MacLamroc, born December 26, 1954.
B. Brian G.W. MacLamroc, born February 24, 1956.
Eli (Edward) Eley, Son Of Robert Eley III
1. Eli (Edward) Eley, fifth child of Robert Eley III and Martha Daughtie, and a grandson of Jane BRACEWELL, married Annie Lawrence. Their son:
2. Samuel Eley married Marry Hillsman.
3. Annie Eley, daughter of Samuel and Marry Eley, married John Johnson.
4. Jesse Johnson, son of Annie and John, married Lucy Webb Barnett.
5. Samuel Eley Johnson, Sr., son of Jesse and Lucy, married Elizabeth Barnett.
6. Samuel Eley Johnson, Jr., son of Samuel and Elizabeth, married Rebekah Baines.
7. Lyndon Baines Johnson, son of Samuel and Rebekah, was born August 27, 1908 near Stonewall, Texas. He married Claudia Alta "Lady Bird" Taylor who was born in 1912. Lyndon B. Johnson served as the thirty-sixth President of the United States from 1963-1969. His home was a ranch near Johnson City and he died in San Antonio, Texas, January 22, 1973. Their children:
A. Lynda Bird Johnson
B. Lucy Baines Johnson
In "A FAMILY ALBUM" by Rebekah Baines Johnson, mother of the President, the following was given:
"John Johnson was living in Oglethrope County, Georgia in 1795. The records of Oglethrope, Henry, and Green Counties, Georgia, show John's residence in these counties until his death in March 1828. He was of English descent, and his residence before 1795 was North Carolina. His first wife, the mother of his six children, was Anne Eley. He married for the second time in Green County, May 24, 1823, Joicy Bowdrie Fears."
"He participated in the Land Lottery of 1827 and was awarded 202 1/2 acres in Lee County. His service in the Revolutionary War is recorded in the Survey Book and Grant Book in the Georgia State House."
Mr. James MacLamroc, attorney- at- law of Greensboro, North Carolina, sent this information in 1976. In his work he stated that he was a sixth cousin, once removed, to President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
MORE DESCENDANTS OF ROBERT BRACEWELL, JR. (1650-1714(bef)
The following pages contain more lineages of some of ROBERT BRACEWELL JR.'s children and their descendants. ROBERT BRACEWELL, JR is a direct ancestor of the author as are his sons WILLIAM BRACEWELL, SR. and WILLIAM BRACEWELL, JR.
1. WILLIAM BRACEWELL (1680-1720), was born in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, was the son of ROBERT BRACEWELL, JR. WILLIAM's wife was MARY. See page 11. The children of WILLIAM and MARY:
A. WILLIAM BRACEWELL, JR. (1707-1785), pg. 55-59.
B. James BRACEWELL, (@1710-@1765), pg. 59-61.
C. Benjamin BRACEWELL
2. WILLIAM BRACEWELL, JR. (1707-1785) was born in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia. He married MARGARET and changed the spelling of his last name from BRACEWELL to BRASWELL around 1728 (see page 13). The children of WILLIAM and MARGARET:
A. William BRASWELL (1733-?)
B. Jacob BRASWELL
C. Arthur BRASWELL
D. SAMUEL BRASWELL (1738-1794)
E. Dorcus BRASWELL
F. Patience BRASWELL
G. Patty BRASWELL
3. William BRASWELL (1733-?) was born probably in Chowan County, North Carolina. His wife was Martha. Three of their children:
A. Jacob BRASWELL, born around 1760, pg. 56-58.
B. William BRASWELL, born 1763, pg. 58-59.
C. James BRASWELL, born 1765.
JACOB BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM BRASWELL (1733-?)
1. Jacob BRASWELL, son of William and Martha, was born March 7, 1763 (1760?) in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died July 9, 1837. On July 9, 1789 he married Nancy Cotton, born December 3, 1772, and died July 1855. Jacob served in the American Revolutionary War. The children of Jacob and Nancy:
A. Elizabeth BRASWELL, born December 22, 1791.
B. Micajah BRASWELL, born July 26, 1793.
C. Jacob BRASWELL, Jr., born December 6, 1795.
D. Priscilla Mason BRASWELL, born November 18, 1797.
E. Sally BRASWELL, born March 6, 1800.
F. Willie BRASWELL, born November 27, 1801.
G. Peggy BRASWELL, born November 1, 1803.
H. Temperance "Tempy" BRASWELL, born August 14, 1805.
I. Alexander Cotton BRASWELL, born October 3, 1807.
J. Nancy Mariah BRASWELL, born August 29, 1810.
K. Micajah Thomas Cotton BRASWELL, born October 12, 1811.
L. Rhoda BRASWELL, born November 20, 1813.
DR. JACOB BRASWELL, JR., SON OF JACOB BRASWELL (1763-1837)
1. Dr. Jacob BRASWELL, Jr., son of Jacob and Nancy, was born December 6, 1795, in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died July 25, 1837. In 1789 he married Parthenia Cotton who was born about 1800, Warren County, North Carolina, and died 1830 in Henry County, Tennessee. Her parent were Soloman and Priscilla Macon (Hawkins) Cotton.
2. Dr. John Crockett BRASWELL, son of Jacob and Parthenia, was born September 28, 1828, Henrico County, Tennessee, and died October 21, 1893. On December 16, 1852, he married Mary Macon Hamlin who was born December 26, 1835, in North Carolina, and died in Calloway County, Kentucky. Her parents were Peter and Ann (Michaux) Hamlin Stanback. (See page 128- connection found.)
3. Emma Myrtle BRASWELL, daughter of John and Mary, was born October 30, 1859, in Kentucky and died April 3, 1898. She married James Patterson Fisher who was born about 1847 and died October 23, 1909, in Paris, Tennessee.
4. Emma Myrtle Fisher, daughter of Emma and James, was born March 10, 1887, in Paris, Tennessee, and died October 24, 1963, in Detroit, Michigan. December 22, 1907, she married Thomas Walthall Roberts who was born March 31,
1873, Weakly County, Tennessee, and died May 1, 1948. Two of their children:
A. Fisher Bill Roberts
B. Mary Lou Roberts
Fisher Bill Roberts, Son of Emma Myrtle (Fisher) Roberts
1. Fisher Bill Roberts was born May 6, 1917, Paris, Tennessee, and died December 11, 1979, in Kent, Ohio. June 24, 1939, he married Kathryn Jean Danna who was born January 25, 1917, in Detroit, Michigan. Her parents were Anthony and Liboris (Curro) Danna. The children of Bill and Kathryn:
A. Diana F. Roberts, born September 10, 1940.
B. Nancy Roberts, born September 27, 1943.
C. Elizabeth Roberts, born June 3, 1946.
D. Patricia Roberts, born November 16, 1948.
2. Diana Francis Roberts was born September 10, 1940, in Wayne County, Michigan. On December 26, 1959, she married Edward John Glassner who was born November 15, (?) in Summit County, Ohio. Their children:
A. Melissa E. Glassner, born November 2, 1961 in Ohio.
B. Michelle L. Glassner, born February 27, 1963 in Ohio.
This information was provided by Mrs. Diana Glassner of Kent, Ohio.
Mary Lou Roberts, Daughter of Emma Myrtle (Fisher) Roberts
1. Mary Lou Roberts married Francis Raymond Allen in 1935. He was born February 22, 1901, in Mt. View, Oklahoma, and died July 1, 1947.
2. Gary Allen, son of Mary Lou and Francis, was born July 27, 1936, Punta Gorda, Florida, and married Sharon (?) on February 6, 1972. Sharon was born June 13, 1950 in, Snyder, Texas. Their children:
A. Danica Allen C. Amity Allen
B. Ianthe Allen
This information was furnished by Gary Allen of Howell, Michigan.
TEMPERANCE BRASWELL, DAUGHTER OF JACOB BRASWELL (1763-1837)
1. Temperance BRASWELL, daughter of Jacob and Nancy BRASWELL, was born August 14, 1805, in Edgecombe County, North Carolina. She married Redmond Lodge on January 4, 1830. Redmond was born about 1805 in Edgecombe County. Their children:
A. Margaret Lodge, born 1830.
B. Robert Lodge, born about 1832.
C. Jane Lodge, born about 1839.
D. Thresa Lodge, born October 3, 1844.
E. William Lodge, born about 1845.
Margaret Lodge, Daughter of Temperance (BRASWELL) Lodge
1. Margaret Lodge, born 1830 or 1831 in North Carolina, married James King who was born 1818 in North Carolina.
2. Martha Jane King, daughter of Margaret and James King, was born May 30, 1869, in Arkansas. She married Jesse Benjamin Wisinger who was born December 22, 1847, in Arkansas.
3. Minnie Ola Wisinger, daughter of Martha and Jesse, was born May 4, 1883, in Ida, Louisiana and died May 15, 1975, Shreveport, Louisiana. November 5, 1899, she married Charles Forshee, born November 4, 1879, Miller County, Arkansas, and died May 14, 1966, Shreveport, Louisiana.
4. Stanley Jennings Forshee, son of Minnie and Charles, was born December 3, 1908, Ida, Caddo Parish, Louisiana. He married Alma Hazel Edwards on June 15, 1932. Alma was born July 14, 1916, in Sabine Parish. She was the daughter of Edward Edmond and Floy Edna Parker.
5. Nelda Forshee, daughter of Stanley and Alma Forshee, was born February 12, 1938, Rusk County, Texas, and married Jaromir Charles Zbranek on September 26, 1958. Jaromir Charles Zbranek was born March 25, 1930, Harris County, Texas, he is an attorney. Their children:
A. Felicia Ann Zbranek, born June 7, 1960.
B. Zeb Davidson Zbranek, born September 28, 1962.
C. Zachery Matthew Zbranek, born October 7, 1963.
Thresa Lodge, daughter of Temperance (BRASWELL) Lodge
1. Thresa Lodge was born October 3, 1844, and died on her birthday in 1921 in Malvern, Arkansas. Thresa married John J. Tarvin, born January 1844 in Union County, Arkansas, and died December 26, 1909, in Malvern, Arkansas. They were married May 12, 1864, Arkansas, Confederate States of America.
2. Lerah Annabelle Tarvin, daughter of Thresa and John Tarvin, was born April 28, 1866, in Calhoun County, Arkansas, C.S.A., and died May 6, 1936, Malvern, Arkansas. Lerah married Robert Pinckney Goodman. Robert was born September 22, 1863, Hot Springs, Arkansas, C.S.A., and died August 20, 1946, in Malvern.
3. Conney H. Goodman, son of Lerah and Robert Goodman, was born May 25, 1888, Hot Springs, Arkansas, and died January 12, 1919, in Malvern. He married Rachel Elizabeth Reed who was born September 19, 1881, in Hot Springs and died July 30, 1965, in Malvern. She was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Mary Ann (Worley) Reed.
4. Lucile Goodman, daughter of Conney and Rachel Goodman, was born February 26, 1913, in Malvern. Lucile married Norman Henry Mason, born August 12, 1910, Piggott, Arkansas, and died December 10, 1965, in Malvern. They were married January 1, 1939.
5. Elizabeth Mason, daughter of Lucile and Norman Mason, was born February 7, 1941, Arkadelphia, Arkansas. On November 29, 1968, she married Bobby Dean McGuyer, born November 18, 1930, in Klomdike, Texas.
In 1980 the home of Mrs. Elizabeth McGuyer was Seffner, Florida.
WILLIAM BRASWELL (1760-1844) SON OF WILLIAM BRASWELL (1733-?)
1. William BRASWELL (1760-1844), was the second son of William Braswell (1733-?) and his wife Martha. He purchased 150 acres of land in Robinson County, North Carolina, on February 18, 1778. There was no record of his wife, but his children were:
A. William BRASWELL F. Dempsey BRASWELL
B. James BRASWELL G. Jesse BRASWELL
C. Jeremiah BRASWELL H. Mourning BRASWELL
D. Nancy BRASWELL I. Charity BRASWELL
E. John BRASWELL
2. Jesse BRASWELL, 1815-1856, married Emily Odom. Their children:
A. Samuel Davis BRASWELL D. Ann Eliza BRASWELL
B. Nancy Emily BRASWELL E. James K. Polk BRASWELL
C. Elizabeth Christian BRASWELL F. Lizzie Wright BRASWELL
3. Samuel Davis BRASWELL, eldest child of Jesse and Emily, was born in 1839 and died 1895. He married Elizabeth (?). Their children:
A. Martha Lucinda BRASWELL C. Jacob Eley BRASWELL
B. Jesse James BRASWELL
4. Jacob Eley BRASWELL, son of Samuel and Elizabeth, was born 1871 and died in 1899. His wife was Katalia. Their children:
A. Katy Elizabeth BRASWELL C. Lena Geneva BRASWELL
B. Jacob Thomas BRASWELL D. Nannie BRASWELL
JAMES BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM BRASWELL (1733-?)
1. James BRASWELL, Sr. was born 1765 in North Carolina. At this time there is no information on his wife and children other than James Jr.
2. James BRASWELL, Jr. was born about 1800 in South Carolina. He lived in North Carolina and married Harriett Boone who was born in North Carolina.
3. Dolplhin (Randolph) "Dee" BRASWELL, son of James Jr., was born about 1851 in Rocky Mount, North Carolina (?), and died June 7, 1926, in San Antonio, Texas. He married Laura Bell (Smith) Fretwell who was born about 1853 in Luling, Texas.
4. Mary BRASWELL, daughter of Dee and Laura, was born November 15, 1883, in Luling, Texas, and died June 17, 1962, in Longview, Texas. She married Harvey Paxton Ruff on December 31, 1899. Harvey was born 1872 in Searcy County, Arkansas, and died in 1940. He was buried in Enid, Oklahoma.
5. Glen Paxton Ruff, son of Mary and Harvey, was born July 22, 1905, in the Oklahoma Territory. He married Edith Wilma Johnson on March 20, 1931. Edith was the daughter of Clarence Arthur and Laura Evelyn (Gaines) Johnson.
6. Jon Braswell Ruff was born December 26, 1935, in Longview, Texas. He married Nancy Ann Bakeley on December 23, 1961.
JAMES BRACEWELL, SON OF WILLIAM BRACEWELL (1680-1720)
1. James BRACEWELL, son of WILLIAM BRACEWELL and his wife Mary, was born probably 1710 and his will was probated September 27, 1765. His wife's name is unknown but his children were:
A. Joseph BRACEWELL C. Benjamin BRACEWELL
B. ??? BRACEWELL D. Simon BRACEWELL
2. Benjamin BRACEWELL made his will on February 25, 1789. His wife was Mary. Their sons:
A. John BRACEWELL D. James BRACEWELL
B. Lemon BRACEWELL E. Permenter BRACEWELL/BRASWELL
C. Zadoc BRACEWELL
(This information was included in Benjamin's record but I can't tell who it's about. Born January 10, 1744, and died January 25, 1792. First marriage was to Mary Ida Mercer April 4, 1765. Second marriage was to Mary Permenter- daughter of James Permenter.)
3. Permenter BRASWELL "no details", possible wife- Margaret (see pg. 170).
A. Benjamin BRASWELL C. Ann BRASWELL
B. Robert BRASWELL
4. Robert Russell BRASWELL, son(?) of Permenter, was born February 7, 1802, and died August 1848. December 4, 1823, he married Anselana "Ansy" Stringer, daughter of William and Keziah Margaret (Pitt) Stringer. (See page 170).
A. Joseph James BRASWELL, born November 16, 1824.
B. Benjamin Guilford, b. January 1, 1827, married Mary E. Hargroves.
C. Keziah Margaret, b. February 2, 1829, married Lester Cobb
D. Elizabeth Catherine BRASWELL, born February 22, 1831.
E. Thomas Permenter BRASWELL, b. November 2, 1833, wed Emily Stallings.
F. Arretta BRASWELL, born May 15, 1835, married James Draughn.
G. Robert Stringer BRASWELL, b. March 8, 1836 wed Margaret Hargroves,
sister or cousin of Mary Hargroves who married his brother Benjamin.
H. Anselana Jane BRASWELL, born January 9, 1842.
I. John Daniel BRASWELL, born February 17, 1844.
Thomas Permenter BRASWELL, Son of Robert Russell BRASWELL
1. Thomas Permenter BRASWELL was the fourth child of Robert R. and Anselana (Stringer) BRASWELL. He was born November 2, 1833, in Edgecombe County, North Carolina and died March 5, 1907, in Nash County, North Carolina. On December 11, 1860, he married Emily Stallings. Thomas Permenter was a planter and served in the legislature from Nash County. The children of Thomas and Emily:
A. Mack Claud BRASWELL, born October 2, 1861, C.S.A. wed Alice Bryan.
B. Mark Russell BRASWELL, born December 12, 1864, C.S.A.
C. Eula BRASWELL, born May 4, 1866, and died in infancy, C.S.A.
D. James Criag BRASWELL, born August 17, 1868, married Grizzle Burton.
E. Thomas BRASWELL, born about 1876.
F. Mattie BRASWELL, no information.
2. Mark Russell BRASWELL, son of Thomas and Emily, was born December 12, 1864, C.S.A., and married Mamie Hackney. Mark Russell attended the University of North Carolina and earned his M.A. degree at the University of Maryland. He was a physician, planter, and banker. He died in Richmond, Virginia November 16, 1937. Their children:
A. Thomas Hackney BRASWELL, born December 12, 1895, and died March 7,
B. Mary Louise BRASWELL, born March 20, 1898, married Hyman Lewellyn
C. Emily Hammond BRASWELL, born March 30, 1908, married William
3. Thomas Hackney BRASWELL, 1895-1907, was a citizen of Rocky Mount. The Thomas Hackney Braswell Memorial Library was given to the city of Rocky Mount
as a memorial to Thomas by his father. The library is a beautiful red brick building with thousands of volumes. One part of the library has a department of history and genealogy and many of the books contain history of the BRASWELLS. In the main part of the library is a picture of Thomas Hackney BRASWELL and a large plaque with the following inscription: "In memory of Mark Russell BRASWELL, December 12, 1864, through whose generous bequest to the city of Rocky Mount, this library was built and endowed November 10, 1923." The people of Rocky Mount are proud of the library and grateful to the giver, Dr. Mark Russell BRASWELL. He is called the benefactor of the poor of Rocky Mount. Many young people go to the library to read, study, and quietly visit.
In the old cemetery of Rocky Mount is a large monument to Dr. Mark Russell BRASWELL and a beautiful mausoleum where Permenter BRASWELL was laid to rest. The BRASWELLS made a good contribution to Rocky Mount and the community has been blessed by their lives and gifts. Those who still live there today enjoy the benefits of their bounty. There are still BRASWELLS in Rocky Mount today who are descendants of Thomas Permenter BRASWELL.
Arretta BRASWELL, Daughter of Robert Russell BRASWELL
1. Arretta BRASWELL married James H. Draughn on March 11, 1858. Arretta was born May 15, 1839 (according to family bible, 1835). James was born about 1829- 1830 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina.
2. William Henry Draughn, son of Arretta and James, was born January 2, 1863, in Wilson County, North Carolina, C.S.A. On January 16, 1890, he married Delphia Ann Cobb who was born July 1869. She died September 8, 1912, and William Henry died February 20, 1948, in Wilson County.
3. Mary Ella Draughn, daughter of William and Delphia, was born April 13, 1903, in Wilson County, North Carolina. On November 3, 1920, she married John N. Davis, born August 30, 1896, in Wilson County.
4. Margaret Ella Davis, daughter of Mary Ella and John, was born March 7, 1922, in Wilson County. On July 3, 1944, she married Vincent James Bartolillo who was born June 10, 1918, in Brooklyn, New York.
5. Mary Joan Bartolillo, daughter of Margaret and Vincent, was born October 4, 1944, in Wilson County. On September 4, 1965, she married James Tippett Wallace who was born April 26, 1945, in Baltimore, Maryland.
DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM BRASWELL'S (1707-1785) SON SAMUEL BRASWELL
WILLIAM BRASWELL, JR
Isle of Wight County, VA
Edgecombe County, NC
Wife- Sarah [Moore]
Edgecombe County, NC
BENJAMIN BENNETT BRASWELL, SON OF SAMPSON BRASWELL
1. Bennett BRASWELL, son of SAMPSON and elder brother of SAMUEL BRASWELL, was born 1798 in North Carolina. He came to DeKalb County, Tennessee, perhaps in the late 1820's or early 1830's. He married Elizabeth Starnes who was born June 25, 1807. Bennett died in 1869 and Elizabeth died October 7, 1884. Both are buried in the BRASWELL Cemetery near Center Hill Dam, DeKalb County. Their son:
2. William A. BRASWELL was born November 17, 1830, and died August 27, 1885. William married Amanda Malvina Allen on June 20, 1852. Amanda was born October 1, 1832, and died June 21, 1921. They are both buried in the old BRASWELL Cemetery. (See page 171, 172 and 174) They had twelve children:
A. John William BRASWELL, born April 23, 1853. On the 1870 DeKalb County Census, his age was given as seventeen. He married Martha Pullen. To this marriage were born five children:
1. Frank Moulton BRASWELL, born 1883 married Della Lee.
2. Charles Tilman BRASWELL, born 1887 married Mary Lester of Roanoke, Virginia. They adopted Clarence Jr., son of Clarence BRASWELL, Sr.
3. Bonnie May BRASWELL married James Maddux of Buffalo Valley, Tennessee. They had one son:
a. Frank Tilman Maddux married Katherine Schrader
4. William Thomas BRASWELL, born July 26, 1895, in Cookeville, Tennessee. He married Margery Josephine Hill, daughter of John R. Hill of Franklin, Tennessee. Their children:
a. Robert Wm. BRASWELL, b. May 15, 1922, married Nancy.
b. Jonelle BRASWELL, born October 30, 1923, and married Peter Welch of Hamilton, Bermuda. Their children:
1. Peter Welch, Jr.
2. Cory Welch
3. Jonelle Amelia Welch
c. Mildred BRASWELL, born October 5, 1925. She married John G. Halterman. Their children:
1. Katherine Halterman, born June 1950.
2. John G. Halterman, Jr. was born 1953. He was killed by carbon monoxide while working on his car.
d. Paul Cartwright BRASWELL, born February 22, 1931. He married Betty Robinson of Texline, Texas. They had the following children:
1. William C. BRASWELL, born 1956.
2. Rhonda L. BRASWELL, born 1957.
3. Bryan D. BRASWELL, born 1958.
4. Robert BRASWELL, born 1961.
e. Patricia BRASWELL, born July 14, 1933. She married Cecil Culverhouse, a Presbyterian minister. They had one son:
1. Lan Robert Culverhouse
When this information was originally supplied, William Thomas was living in Cookeville, Tennessee.
5. Troy Martin BRASWELL, born May 29, 1899, Cookeville, Tennessee. He married Kathryne Groomes, who was born June 25, 1903. They had the following children:
a. Charles Walker BRASWELL, born July 23, 1929, Nashville, Tennessee. He married Hazel Marcel Yarnell, daughter of Harry Napoleon and Martha Agnes (King) Yarnell, October 20, 1951. Their children:
1. Brenda Karen BRASWELL, born July 24, 1956.
2. Daniel Walker BRASWELL, born December 1, 1958, Knoxville, Tennessee.
3. Connie Denise BRASWELL, born August 5, 1965, Chattanooga, Tennessee.
b. Marilyn BRASWELL, born September 12, 1932. On August 10, 1951, she married James J. Hestle.
c. William Groomes BRASWELL, born October 16, 193-.
d. Francis BRASWELL was born November 3, 1939, and married Douglas McNeil.
e. James BRASWELL was born February 26, 1942.
The home of Troy and Katherine is 725 Harpeth Pkwy., Nashville, Tennessee.
B. Montecello Lemiza "Sis" BRASWELL was born April 23, 1855. She married Christopher Columbus Jared. Their children:
1. Charles Jared, born July 2, 1878, and died the same year.
2. William Wirt Jared, born October 2, 1879. He married Leona Ada Farmer. They had no children.
3. Alta Tonie Jared was born October 27, 1879 (twin???). She married James Payton Lancaster. They had nine children.
4. Daisy Dean Jared, born July 19, 1882. She married Solon Maddux, son of James Maddux. (See Bonnie May pg. 63)
5. Anna Pearl Jared was born July 29, 1884. She married David Lindsey High, son of Benjamin Vaden and Elizabeth (Beasley) High. Before her marriage Miss Jared taught in the public schools. Mrs. High has a lovely home in Cookeville, Tennessee. In 1973 she was active and very interested in her family history.
6. Walter Allen Jared was born November 3, 1886. He married Althea Wyatt, daughter of John Wyatt and his first wife who was probably a Wilson.
7. Goldie Myrtle Jared, born September 14, 1890. She married Joseph Petway Nichols, the son of Petway and Harris Grimes Nichols.
8. John Herbert Jared, born September 4, 1892, and died May 14, 1917, at the age of twenty-five. He never married.
C. Eliza Ann Elizabeth BRASWELL was born June 21, 1857, and married Thomas Lancaster. They had two children:
1. Rosco Lancaster, born November 24, 1882. He married Anna (?) Williams. They had a big family.
2. Pannie Lancaster, born May 24, 1884, and married Alvin Smith. They had several children.
D. Arthusa Caroline BRASWELL, born August 3, 1859, and married Timothy Pritchard. Their children:
1. Willie Pritchard
2. Pannie Pritchard, who married Timothy Pat McDowell.
3. Ola Pritchard married Ray Brister. Their children:
a. Gilene Brister- married first D.E. Blacksten and second R.E. Pugh.
b. Wayne Brister married Eloise Green.
c. Ray G. Brister was born and died in 1916.
d. Leo Brister married Oleta Favors.
e. Frances Brister married O.B. Fanning.
f. Billie Ray Brister was born and died 1924.
g. Lynn Brister married Joann (?).
h. Beryle D. Brister married Helen Detelles.
i. Cohn Don Brister married Lois Young.
j. Julia Juanice Brister married Glenn Williams.
4. Grady Pritchard
5. Orpha Ann Pritchard, who married Fred Carr.
6. Orbie Dean Pritchard died in infancy.
E. Tennessee Belle BRASWELL was born February 11, 1861, and died 1896 at the age of thirty-five. She married Thomas Terry. Their children:
1. Winnie Terry
2. Willie Terry, who married Charles Fisher. Their child:
a. Lizzie Belle Fisher
3. William Ernest Terry, married in Venture, California, was employed by the Union Oil Company for many years. He retired at the age of sixty-five.
F. Andrew Jackson "Bennett" BRASWELL, born October 23, 1863, C.S.A. He married Fannie Winfree and they had the following children:
1. Lula BRASWELL, born June 26, 1889.
2. William H. BRASWELL, born January 20, 189-.
3. Vera BRASWELL, born May 29, 1895 and died October 27, 1897.
4. George Dewey BRASWELL, born April 4, 1898.
5. Fannie BRASWELL, born May 20, 1901.
G. Ulysses Simpson Grant BRASWELL, born April 13, 1865, C.S.A. He married Tate McElroy whose home was in Texas. Their children:
1. Lena BRASWELL, who married Zale Hipp.
2. Rosco BRASWELL, who was killed in an oil field accident.
3. Sue BRASWELL, who married Raymond McLeod Champion. Sue taught school for several years. They had two sons:
a. Raymond Champion
b. Rosco Lyle Champion
H. Schuyler Sircy BRASWELL was born May 23, 1868, and died unmarried.
I. Goodner Marshall BRASWELL, born October 6, 1870. He never married.
J. Van Allen BRASWELL, born April 5, 1874, married Sarah Helfin who died in Arkansas. They had the following children:
1. Alta BRASWELL
2. Hebart BRASWELL
3. Spurlina BRASWELL
4. Faye BRASWELL
5. Charles BRASWELL
K. Lattie Damon BRASWELL was born September 9, 1879. He married Mary Dunham. Mary died in 1929 of Tuberculosis. Their children:
1. Nola Mabel BRASWELL, born April 11, 1901, she married Herschel Betty. They had one daughter:
a. Winnette Betty who married A. Moore.
2. W. Clarence BRASWELL, born September 30, 1903, and died December 14, 1927.
3. Ola Mae BRASWELL, born August 7, 1906, married Riley Burton.
4. Jolly Avis BRASWELL, born July 23, 1910. He married and settled in Detroit, Michigan. L. Luther BRASWELL, born about 1880, is found only on the 1880 census.
The information on the family of Benjamin Bennett BRASWELL was furnished by William T. BRASWELL and Mrs. High. The names and dates of birth were copied from the BRASWELL Bible Record.
MORE DESCENDANTS OF SAMUEL BRASWELL 1800-1852
The following pages contain lineages and information on three of the sons of SAMUEL BRASWELL who was born near Brass Town, South Carolina, and lived from 1800 to 1852 (see page 16). Vincent, John and William were brothers of BURNIE BENNETT BRASWELL. There is another possible son of Samuel (see pg. 217) that would be older than the others and research is being conducted as to his identity.
VINCENT BRASWELL, SON OF SAMUEL BRASWELL
1. Vincent BRASWELL, who was born 1827 in Tennessee, married Lucinda A. Sisk, who was born 1832 in Kentucky. Her father was Travis H. Sisk. Vincent served in the 25th Regiment in Company D commanded by Captain Campbell. He was a sergeant and died while in service of the United States Army. Lucinda reared the children alone. On November 23, 1863, she applied for her pension. At that time she was thirty-one years of age. According to the application of Lucinda, she and Vincent were married on August 5, 1850. He died on or about the 22nd day of June 1862, at Henderson, Kentucky. A letter from the Office of the Adjutant General stated that Vincent enrolled on the 15th day of October 1862, at Henderson, Kentucky. According to the transcript of the Marriage Register, Reverend Featherston, a regular minister of the gospel, solemnized the rite of matrimony between Vincent BRASWELL and Lucinda Sisk. The children of Vincent and Lucinda:
A. Mary E. BRASWELL C. Martha BRASWELL
B. Samuel Harrison BRASWELL D. Elisha H. BRASWELL
2. Samuel Harrison BRASWELL was born 1853 in Tennessee. October 11, 1872, he
married Seania Elizabeth White- field in Hopkins County, Kentucky. Seania was born 1852, Hopkins County and died about 1881. Their children:
A. Phredonia Annis "Donia"
B. Koaka "Katty" BRASWELL
C. William Francis BRASWELL
D. Millard BRASWELL
E. John "Happy" BRASWELL
F. Joe BRASWELL
G. Ina BRASWELL
H. Harry BRASWELL
3. William Francis BRASWELL was born October 10, 1878, Hopkins County, Kentucky. He married Rosabell "Rosy" Huff on April 29, 1899, in Springfield, issouri. He served in the Spanish American War Company M. He was also a minister and pastored churches in Texas, Koaka and William Francis BRASWELL Missouri and California. He died August 11, 1932, Campell Township, Green County, Missouri, and was buried in the National Cemetery, Springfield, Missouri. His wife died August 30, 1937, and was buried with her husband. Their children:
A. Beaulah BRASWELL F. Francis BRASWELL
B. Birtha BRASWELL G. William Francis BRASWELL, Jr.
C. Netah BRASWELL H. Mary Elizabeth BRASWELL
D. Ruth BRASWELL I. Lynn Rosabell BRASWELL
E. Naomi BRASWELL
4. Lynn Rosabell BRASWELL was born July 27, 1925, Santa Monica, California. She married Art Chasen on Christmas Day 1959, in Las Vegas, Nevada. She is an artist, silversmith, goldsmith, and a student of photography. She designed the crest on the cover and the cover page of Dr. Roy's 1983 book.
JOHN BRASWELL NUMBER ONE, POSSIBLE SON OF SAMUEL BRASWELL
This John BRASWELL is probably the son of SAMUEL BRASWELL (1800-1852). The original information states that his father's name was unknown and that his father was born in North Carolina and died around 1850, so far this matches the information of SAMUEL BRASWELL who was born in North Carolina and died in 1852. It is also known that SAMUEL BRASWELL had a son Vincent born 1827 in Smith County and a son John born about 1833 in Smith County, Tennessee (see page 17). There is another John BRASWELL who comes close to matching the same criteria listed above, however, the information on the wives is different and a different list of children is given, so definitely more research is needed. At this point, I feel that John BRASWELL number one is the correct son of SAMUEL and brother to BURNIE BENNETT BRASWELL, but I have included the information on John BRASWELL number two directly following "number one's" lineage. If anyone has any additional information on these John BRASWELLs, please contact me.
1. John BRASWELL (number one), born July 20, 1833, in Smith County, Tennessee, died 1898. He married Martha F. Baird who was born November 5, 1844, probably in Smith County and died 1900. (The son William Daniel born in 1874 probably died in 1874 and later another son was named William Daniel.) The children of John and Martha:
A. John Simeon BRASWELL G. William Daniel BRASWELL (1889)
B. Maravie Ellen BRASWELL H. Mary Elizabeth BRASWELL
C. Robert BRASWELL I. Josiah BRASWELL
D. Sally Ann Francis "Franny" J. Hezekiah BRASWELL
E. Ida Florence BRASWELL K. Martha BRASWELL
F. William Daniel (1874-1874)
2. William Daniel BRASWELL, son of John and Martha, was born February 25, 1889, Smith County, Tennessee, and died February 15, 1970. March 27, 1910, he married Dora Lena Rodgers who was born in Collin County, Texas. Their children:
A. Ethel BRASWELL H. Henry BRASWELL
B. Fred BRASWELL I. Decalb BRASWELL
C. Dewey BRASWELL J. Marie BRASWELL
D. Robert Clyde BRASWELL K. Wastel BRASWELL
E. Clarence Avery BRASWELL L. Leroy BRASWELL
F. Albert Dalton BRASWELL M. Verna BRASWELL
G. Edith BRASWELL
3. Albert Dalton BRASWELL, son of William and Dora, was born September 14, 1921, Blue Ridge, Texas, and died February 26, 1943. He married Gloria Belle Staton, who was born February 13, 1924, Fort Worth, Texas. They had six children.
4. Sarah Kathryn BRASWELL, daughter of Albert and Gloria, was born November 6, 1941, McKinney, Texas. June 3, 1961, she married John C. Barron who was born August 26, 1938, in Corsicana, Texas.
5. Lucy Ann Barron, daughter of Sarah and John, was born January 21, 1963, in San Antonio, Texas. As of 1978, Lucy Barron was living in Austin, Texas.
JOHN BRASWELL NUMBER TWO, POSSIBLE SON OF SAMUEL BRASWELL
The record on page 80, in the 1981 edition of FOLLOWING THE BRASWELLS IN AMERICA, shows the following as the father of John BRASWELL:
(6)___________BRASWELL who was born in North Carolina and died between 1843 and 1850. He married Milly _______ who was born about 1814 in Tennessee. Their children:
1. Maravah, born about 1832.
2. John, born about 1833 and died 1898.
3. Matthew, born about 1836.
4. Robert, born 1838.
5. Mary, born about 1841.
6. Rebecca, born about 1841.
7. William, born abut 1843.
8. Hezekiah, born about 1843.
WILLIAM BRASWELL, SON OF SAMUEL BRASWELL
1. William BRASWELL, son of SAMUEL and SARAH, was born April 22, 1830, and died February 8, 1915. His first wife was Nancy Mason who was born November 27, 1831, and died 1896. To this marriage was born one daughter and three of possibly four sons according to the Census of 1870 and 1880. More information on William BRASWELL can be found on page 17 and 18. The children of William and Nancy:
A. John Henry, born 1853. D. J.W., born 1859
B. George, born 1855. E. Francis B., 1859 (1870 Census)
C. W.A. (Albert?), born 1857
2. John Henry BRASWELL (1853-1880), married Panthea Cook. Their children:
A. Viola, born 1875. C. Sidney, born 1880.
B. William, born 1877.
3. William BRASWELL, born 1877 in Barren Plains, Tennessee. He married Avil Dunn. Their children:
A. Johnny C. BRASWELL D. Dorothy BRASWELL
B. Carl BRASWELL E. Dixie BRASWELL
C. Ruth BRASWELL F. Christine BRASWELL
4. Johnny C. BRASWELL was born about 1901. He and his wife Bernice (Spencer) had the following children:
A. Harold BRASWELL D. Barbara Jean BRASWELL
B. Helen BRASWELL E. Lydia Rose BRASWELL
C. Ann Sue BRASWELL
5. Harold BRASWELL was born 1926 in Barren Plains, Tennessee. Harold married Alice Rice who was born January 21, 1927. They had one son.
6. James Michael BRASWELL. Married (?) and they had two children:
A. Darryl BRASWELL
B. Vicky Lynn BRASWELL
This part of Tennessee is rich with the legend of the BRASWELLS who settled there
about 1832. The old home place of SAMUEL BRASWELL is still in the possession of his descendants. Abundant crops of corn are grown and harvested now instead of the once productive tobacco. The great grandchildren enjoy the blessings that were purchased at great sacrifice and labor.
BURNIE BENNETT BRASWELL, SON OF SAMUEL BRASWELL
BURNIE BENNETT BRASWELL, son of SAMUEL BRASWELL and younger brother of Vincent, John and William BRASWELL, was born in 1837 and died in 1900. His information can be found on page 18 and his family tree can be found on page 6. The children of BURNIE BENNETT and VIRGINIA (SCRUGGS) BRASWELL (in outline form):
1. Julia Ann BRASWELL was born February 2, 1865, in Nashville, Tennessee, Confederate States of America. She married Carol Newton Russell who was born April 30, 1861, in Springfield, Missouri. He was the son of Baker and Martha Mills Russell. Carol Newton and Julia Ann came to Oklahoma in two covered wagons with stock and furniture and five children. They came to Anadarko, Oklahoma, and did not like it and returned to Missouri. In a short time they returned to Hobart, Oklahoma, when Hobart was a "tent-town". There were no roads and they followed Elk Creek south until they came to Little Bow Mountain, and settled on rich valley land ten miles south of Hobart. Indians were still living back of the mountain and there was lots of game and the grass was very tall. They dug a "Dug-out" house the size of a room and placed a large tent over this until lumber could be bought for a house. Three of their ten children were born and lived here until grown and married. Carol Newton Russell died December 19, 1933, in Anadarko, Oklahoma, and was buried in Hobart. Julia Ann died January 9, 1945, in Hobart, Oklahoma. Children of Julia Ann BRASWELL and Carol Newton Russell:
A. Nellie Boyd Russell was born September 20, 1866, near Springfield, Missouri. Nellie was an enterprising and independent woman who owned her own hat store business in Anadarko, Oklahoma. She later moved to Hobart where she met and married Fort Lewis Snyder in 1931 (she was 45 years old). After his death, she married Herbert Oster. Nellie died about 1962, she had no children.
B. Vertie Lee Russell, born July 22, 1889, near Springfield, Missouri. She married Adolphus A. McNutt in 1914 and lived first in Hobart and then moved to Anadarko, Oklahoma, before settling in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Vertie died about 1970. The children of Vertie Lee and Adolphus:
1. James Russell McNutt served in the U.S. Army and was killed in Europe during the early part of World War II. He never married.
2. LaVertie McNutt married (?) Armstrong and lived in Anadarko. They had two boys and two girls (1946).
3. Genevieve McNutt married, had children and lived in Anadarko.
4. LaJuana McNutt married Kenneth Holtzclaw. They lived in Bell, California, approximately from 1938-1947. After their divorce, she went back to school in Oklahoma City to become a school teacher. She later moved to the central part of Texas and taught in elementary school. Their children:
a. Katherine Holtzclaw
b. Pauline Holtzclaw
5. Mack McNutt served in the U.S. Navy in the Submarine Service
The Russell girls, 1914 on Vertie's wedding day- JaLydia, Jesse, Edna, Hollie and Nellie.
C.N. Russell family, 1905. Standing left to right: Julia Ann (mother), Vertie Lee, Nellie Boyd, Burnie Bennett, Hollie, Carol Newton (father). Front: Jessie, Bruce and Edna Coral.
Page 70 Note: reserved for images
during World War II. He moved to Oklahoma City where he married Avis and raised two sons (1946).
6. Don Alverado McNutt was born sometime around 1927 and died in 1929 at approximately two years of age.
C. Burnie Bennett Russell was born July 21, 1891, near Springfield, Missouri. He married Anna Battles in 1911 and they lived on a farm near Hobart, Oklahoma. Burnie died August 8, 1934. Their children:
1. "Charlie" Russell
2. Christine Russell
D. Ernest Russell was born July 30, 1893, near Springfield, Missouri. He died in 1899.
E. Hollie Russell was born November 16, 1895, near Springfield, Missouri. She married Guy Lester in 1914 and they lived in Hobart. They had one daughter:
1. Guylia Agnes Lester married Herbert Hess and lives in Bakersfield, California. They had three sons.
After her divorce from Guy Lester, she married William Stanfield about 1933. Hollie died in Bakersfield, California, about 1940.
F. Meree Russell was born December 29, 1897, near Springfield, Missouri, and died in infancy, July 17, 1898.
G. Edna Coral Russell was born September 4, 1899, near Springfield, Missouri. She married Thomas Emil Gray, son of John Francis and Amy Lou (Stringer) Gray, April 11, 1919. He was a U.S. Army Veteran of World War I. Emil died in Hines, Illinois March 3, 1941, and was buried in Hobart, Oklahoma. Edna worked at the Veteran's Hospital in Chickasha, Oklahoma, and commuted daily from Anadarko. On early winter mornings, she was often the first to break trail through the snow on the highway. In 1947, Edna moved to California and lived with her oldest son, Van Thomas Gray. She later lived with sons John and Ivan Gray in 1958. Edna passed away July 25, 1976, in Chico, California. The children of Edna and Emil Gray:
1. Hollie Lucile Gray was born January 8, 1920, in Lawton, Oklahoma. She married Max Doyle Woods and lived in Woodland Hills, California. After their divorce, she moved to Riverside, California. The children of Lucile and Max:
a. Doris Louise Woods lived only one day.
b. Theresa Woods was killed at the age of five by her own school bus.
2. Van Thomas Gray was born November 14, 1921, in Anadarko, Oklahoma. He married Mary Sellers on February 14, 1958, in Los Angeles, California. During World War II, Mary served as a U.S. Army nurse and Van served in 45th Division, 158th Field Artillery Band (Trombone), U.S. Army. He later served near Manilla in Batangas Harbor, on the island of Luzon, Philippine Islands, as Landing Craft N.C.O. Van, as an employee of North American Aviation during part of World War II, helped in the building of the B-25 "Billy Mitchell" medium bombers (the first bombers to fly over and bomb Tokyo, Japan). He also helped to build the P-51 "Mustang" fighter planes. Van later worked for Rockwell International (after it bought out North American Aviation) and worked on many projects including: "Apollo" earth orbiting spacecraft and other tothe-moon spacecraft, the original (experimental) first four B-1 Bombers, and the original three Space Shuttle Vehicles. Van retired after forty-two years of service from Rockwell and is currently living in Orem, Utah. Van adopted two
children from Mary's first marriage and they had two more children:
a. Richard Lee Gray was born February 28, 1949, in Long Beach, California. He married Susan Lee Eastwood and they live in Salem, Oregon. Their children:
1. Leah Gray
2. Yvonne "Vonnie" Gray
3. Marsh Gray
4. Amber Gray
5. Reed Gray
b. Marylynn Gray was born August 28, 1951, in Denver, Colorado. Her first marriage was to James B. Held and they had two children:
1. Jennifer Lynn Held
2. Jeanette Louise Held
Marylynn's second marriage was to Jack Hughes, their children:
1. Jessica Hughes
2. Sarah Hughes
3. Jacob Hughes
Marylynn and Jack built their own home in Sedro Woolley, Washington and live there with all five children.
c. Christina Diane Gray was born January 18, 1959, in Los Angeles, California, and is currently living in Orem, Utah. Her first marriage was to James Edward Ludloff and they had four children:
1. Jared Edward Ludloff
2. Katherine Jewell Ludloff
3. Lisa Michelle Ludloff
4. David James Ludloff
d. Van Thomas Gray, Jr. was born June 27, 1961, in Long Beach, California, and is currently living in Orem, Utah.
3. John Carroll Gray was born November 13, 1923, Anadarko, Oklahoma. He married, and later divorced, Dorothy Carpenter. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict. John is living in Orland, California.
4. Jalydia Janeen Gray was born October 29, 1928, in Anadarko, Oklahoma. She married Stanley Frank Mykytka, 1944, in Chickasha, Oklahoma. They are currently living in Miami, Florida. The children of Janeen and Stanley:
a. Stanley Thomas Mykytka
b. James Milton Mykytka
c. Marilyn Jalydia Mykytka
d. Richard Frank Mykytka
e. Teresa Lee Mykytka
5. Ivan Milton Gray was born August 21, 1933, in Anadarko, Oklahoma. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1953 to 1957. He is currently living with his brother John at 205 South Street in Orland, California.
6. Julius Leon Gray was born January 15, 1936, in Anadarko, Oklahoma. He is a MD and served in a U.S. Navy Hospital during the Vietnam War. Julius married Sharon Caldwell, 1956, in Gardenia,
California, and they are currently living at 13939 Summit Drive in Whittier, California. Their children:
a. Judith Lynn Gray is married to Kirk MacDowell and has two children:
1. Patrick MacDowell
2. Kelly MacDowell
b. John Emil Gray is married to Brenda Lee Dangleis.
c. Brent James Gray is married to Nancy Johnson.
d. Brian Charles Gray
G. Bruce Russell was born April 14, 1903, in Hobart, Oklahoma. He married Dellia Shrader in 1922 and they lived on a farm near Hobart, Oklahoma. Bruce died about 1937 in Hobart. Their children:
1. Hollie Dee Russel, their only son.
2. Marilyn Russell
3. "Baby" Russell, a daughter.
H. Jessie Russell was born April 12, 1905, in Hobart, Oklahoma. She married Fredrick Allen Buckner in 1922 and they lived near and in Hobart. She died November 12, 1984. The children of Jessie and Fred:
1. Fredrick Allen Buckner, Jr. "Junior" served in the U.S. Army in World War II and became a career Army man. He was married twice and had a child from each marriage. He died in 1956 after his second heart attack.
2. Imagene Joyce Buckner died in infancy April 29, 1929.
I. JaLydia Russell was born January 9, 1909. Her first marriage was to Dallas Parrish, and her second marriage was to Thomas Milton Sparks December 26, 1936. Milton died June 24, 1973, in a San Antonio hospital. He was a veteran of World War I. He and JaLydia lived at 900 Maple Street, Uvalde, Texas. They owned and operated a large ranch in the Nueces Canyon and every year many hunters flocked to this ranch for deer season. JaLydia continues to make her home in Uvalde.
The information on the family of Julia Ann Braswell was provided by Van Thomas Gray of Orem, Utah.
2. William Francis BRASWELL was born August 28, 1870, in Barren Plains, Tennessee, and married Ada Bertha Wagner in the Oklahoma Territory. His information can be found on page 20.
3. Ann Eliza BRASWELL was born in Tennessee in 1872. She married Jim Buck in Springfield, Missouri, about 1890. It was Ann Eliza's father-in-law, S.S. Buck, who buried Burnie Bennett BRASWELL. The children of Ann Eliza and Jim Buck:
A. Luther Buck was born in 1899 in Springfield, Missouri. He married Addie Bell Petit who was born July 15, 1890. Addie Bell Buck died Friday, ecember 7, 1973, and Luther Buck died Sunday, December 9, 1973. The double funeral was held in Hobart and burial was in the Mooreland Cemetery. Luther and Addie had two daughters:
1. Edna Mae Buck who married (?) Wheeler.
2. Corabel Buck who married (?) Simpson.
B. Leonard Buck was born about 1895, Missouri. In 1974 he had his home in Florida.
C. Mabel Buck was born about 1904 in Oklahoma. She married Dr. Harold Ingraham. Harold died April 29, 1970. Mabel lives near Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. She became a pharmacist, and she owns and operates her own drug store in Nicona Park, Oklahoma. She is a small active woman who enjoys her life and work. The children of Mabel and Harold Ingraham:
1. Jack Ingraham
2. Marita Ingraham
3. Bill Ingraham
Ann Eliza's second marriage was to a Mr. Forthage. She passed away August 8, 1930.
4. George Featherston BRASWELL, the youngest son of Burnie Bennett and Virginia, was born about 1878 near Springfield, Tennessee. He lived and traded with the Indians in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. He changed his name to George Franklin early in life. He moved to Arkansas where he married Aider Spyres in 1900. They farmed in Woosley, Arkansas, for about two years. In 1902 they moved to Missouri. George and Aider had two children:
A. Letty BRASWELL was born 1901 in Woosley, Arkansas. She married James Doyle about 1917. Letty died August of 1973. Their children:
1. Marie Doyle born about 1918
2. Mary Doyle born about 1920
3. Lee Ella Doyle born 1921
4. Claude Doyle born 1923
B. Lee BRASWELL was born March 25, 1903, Pierce City, Missouri. Lee and his sister Letty were reared by their grandparents, the Spyres, in Woosley, Arkansas. He married Irene Stuver in 1936. Lee and Irene lived at 6854 Elmwood Road in San Bernardino, California. Lee died in March of 1988. They had one son:
1. Raymond BRASWELL was born in 1951 in Louisiana. Raymond is a fireman for the Santa Fe Railroad. He married Gayle Powell in 1969. They have one child:
a. Suzanne Lee BRASWELL born August 5, 1970.
George Franklin BRASWELL'S second marriage was to Maise Condrey about 1908. They had one son:
A. James BRASWELL was born 1909. In 1926, Chelsea, Oklahoma, James was killed by a freight train.
George Franklin BRASWELL next married Kate Young a Cherokee girl. They had three children:
A. Joe Fern BRASWELL, who served in the armed forces in Italy.
B. David BRASWELL
C. George BRASWELL
The last marriage of George F. BRASWELL was to Mary Walker of Amarillo, Texas. She had two children from a previous marriage- Henry and Beatrice.
George Franklin BRASWELL was a very colorful character and led a full life (see page 155), he died September 2, 1933 near Vinita, Oklahoma.
SOME DESCENDANTS OF RICHARD BRACEWELL (1651-1724)
The following pages contain information and lineages of descendants of Richard BRACEWELL, brother to ROBERT BRACEWELL, Jr. direct ancestor of the author.
1. Richard BRACEWELL, son of the Reverend ROBERT BRACEWELL, Sr. and Rebecca, was born in 1651 in the Isle of Wight Co., Virginia, and married Sarah Sampson on January 16, 1673. Richard died in 1724/25 and Sarah died in 1735. The children of Richard and Sarah BRACEWELL:
A. Richard (1672-1731) pg. 75-87. F. Martha (1681-?)
B. Ann (1674-?) pg. 87-89. G. Jane (1683-?)
C. Robert (1678-1734) pg. 89-93. H. Jacob (1684-1745) pg. 94.
D. Valentine (1679-1728) I. John (1686-1734)
E. William (1680-1765) pg. 93.
1. Richard BRACEWELL was born 1672, in Isle of Wight Co., Virginia, and died 1731 in North Carolina. He married Eleanor Bryant and had three children:
A. Richard BRACEWELL C. Penny BRACEWELL
B. Susannah BRACEWELL
2. Richard BRASWELL was born 1700, North Carolina, and died 1772. He married
Elizabeth Bryant about 1728 and had eight children:
A. Richard, born 1729 E. Elizabeth
B. Sampson, born 1740 F. James, born 1752
C. Solomon, born 1742 G. William, born 1757
D. Sarah H. Mary
3. Richard BRASWELL, born 1729 in North Carolina and died about 1811, either in Greenville County, South Carolina, or Anderson County, Tennessee. Richard married Obedience Snow about 1758. They had eleven children:
A. Richard, born 1759 G. George, born 1773, pg. 83-87
B. James, born 1761, pg. 76-77 H. Robert, born 1777
C. Obedience, born 1763 I. Sarah
D. Valentine, b. 1765, pg. 78-81 J. Elizabeth
E. William, b. 1766, pg. 81-83 K. Mary
F. John, born 1769
JAMES BRASWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1729-c1811)
1. James BRASWELL, son of Richard and Obedience, was born in 1761 in North Carolina and married Nancy Hall. James, who had changed the spelling of his name from BRASWELL to BRAZEL (BRASEL), was murdered in what is now Morgan County, Tennessee, July 29, 1799 (see page 144). Three of James' children:
A. David BRASEL C. Obedience BRAZEL
B. John BRASEL
DAVID BRASEL, SON OF JAMES BRASWELL/BRAZEL
1. David BRASEL (changed spelling) was born about 1791. He married Anna Clarkston. They moved to Scott County, Illinois, in 1818. David died 1827.
2. David BRASEL, Jr., born July 21, 1826, married Mary Ann Long.
3. Samuel BRASEL, son of David and Mary Ann, was born November 5, 1862. He married Lavina Anderson.
4. Charles Leslie BRASEL, son of Samuel and Lavina, was born January 5, 1896. He married Clara Munsey.
5. Palmyra Lavina BRASEL, daughter of Charles and Clara, was born July 10, 1927. She married Mr. Spencer. In 1972 they were living in Sioux City, South Dakota.
Mrs. Palmyra BRASEL Spencer furnished this information.
JOHN BRASEL, SON OF JAMES BRASWELL/BRAZEL
1. John BRASEL, son of James BRASWELL/BRAZEL, married Rhoda Stonecipher.
2. Joseph BRASEL, son of John and Rhoda, married Virginia Henderson.
3. John Benton BRASEL, son of Joseph and Virginia, born February 17, 1841, Marion County, Illinois, died February 22, 1923, in Marion County. On February 10, 1873, he married America Mercelia Maddox who was born February 20, 1852, Ross County,
Ohio, died April 10, 1933, Warren County, Illinois. She was the daughter of Samuel and Mary (Carr) Maddox.
4. Roscoe Conklin BRASEL, son of John and America, was born September 2, 1880, Marion County, Illinois, and died January 3, 1975, Riverton, Wyoming. December 7, 1904, he married Carrie Mae Lacey, born July 19, 1883, Marion County, Illinois, and died November 1, 1966, in Riverton, Wyoming. She was the daughter of Amos Hudson and Nina (Marshall) Lacey.
5. Kenneth Roscoe BRASEL, son of Roscoe and Carrie, was born July 29, 1915, Marion County, Illinois. On February 6, 1939, he married Nin Kathryn Mitchell who was born February 24, 1919, Riverton, Wyoming. She was the daughter of John Hartwell and Flossie Belle (Martin) Mitchell. Their children:
A. Gary V. BRASEL, born 1939 C. Kenneth C. BRASEL, born 1947
B. Judy K. BRASEL, born 1943 D. Jeffery M. BRASEL, born 1957
6. Kenneth Clarence BRASEL was born January 1, 1947, Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
Kenneth BRASEL provided this information. His home in 1981 was Riverton, WY.
OBEDIENCE BRAZEL, DAUGHTER OF JAMES BRASWELL/BRAZEL
1. Obedience BRAZEL, daughter of James and Nancy, was born October 13, 1791, in South Carolina, and died August 11, 1832, in Morgan County, Tennessee. She married Daniel Stonecipher, born February 14, 1796, in Wilkes County, North Carolina, and died August 29, 1879, in Morgan County.
2. Martin Stonecipher, son of Obedience and Daniel, was born January 15, 1832, and died January 12, 1909. He married Nancy Melton who was born December 6, 1835, and died February 6, 1897.
3. Vardman Luther Stonecipher, son of Martin and Nancy, was born July 22, 1859, in Morgan County, Tennessee. He married Emily Wilson who was born June 15, 1860, in Morgan County and died November 27, 1934. Vardman died September 20, 1920.
4. Joseph Marion Stonecipher, son of Vardman and Emily, was born August 25, 1881, in Morgan County and died September 16, 1966, in Lafollette, Tennessee. He married Sarah Margaret Haskins who was born July 19, 1885.
5. Myrtle Nell Stonecipher, daughter of Joseph and Sarah, married James Woolridge Howe on June 31, 1923. James was born May 12, 1905, Woolridge, Tennessee.
6. Mary Elizabeth Howe, daughter of Myrtle and James, was born December 10, 1924, and married Walter Donald Underwood. Their children:
A. Michael Donald Underwood, born October 2, 1948, married Linda Clabo. Both are graduates of the University of Tennessee. He is a medical doctor.
B. Christopher Howe Underwood, born December 28, 1950, married Sandra Cook. Both are also graduates of the University of Tennessee.
Mrs. Mary E. Howe-Underwood of Knoxville, Tennessee, supplied most of this information in January of 1976.
VALENTINE BRASWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1729-c1811)
1. Valentine BRASWELL, fourth child of Richard and Obedience, was born in 1765 in North Carolina and died after 1830 in Walton County, Georgia. He was a resident of Greenville County, South Carolina, until 1817, in which year he purchased lands in Madison County, Georgia. Sometime after 1820 Valentine moved from Madison County to Walton County, Georgia.
A list of the children of Valentine BRASWELL was prepared by the late Thomas W. Oliver, great grandson of Valentine BRASWELL, as follows:
A. David BRASWELL, born in South Carolina in 1799, and died 1863 in Walton County, Georgia, Confederate States of America. He married Mary (Polly) Forester in 1818, Madison County, Georgia.
B. Wesley BRASWELL, born 1801 in South Carolina, married Mary Ann New July 26, 1822, in Madison County, Georgia.
C. William W. BRASWELL, born 1805 in South Carolina, bought lands on January 18, 1830, in Walton County, Georgia, from Allen J. Fuller. William W. BRASWELL is not listed as the head of a household in the 1830 Census but in the 1840 Census of Walton County, lists one male aged 30-40, and one female aged 20-30. On May 21, 1845, William W. BRASWELL and Rebecca M. Brown were married. Their children:
1. Taylor BRASWELL
2. Jonothan BRASWELL who married Nancy E. Moon in 1878.
3. Isaac BRASWELL who married Georgia Robertson in 1875.
4. Will BRASWELL
D. Isaac D. BRASWELL is listed in the 1830 Census of Walton County as the head of a household: one male aged 20-30, one female aged 20-30, and two females under five years of age. Isaac D., as a resident of the 417th District of Walton County, participated in the "Gold Land Lottery" of 1832.
E. Mahalie BRASWELL, born May 12, 1812, in Greenville County, South Carolina, and died March 22, 1869, in Walton County, Georgia, C.S.A. She married George F. Moore on November 11, 1830. He was born March 8, 1808, and died March 10, 1881. Their children:
1. Jefferson Moore married Sidney (?).
2. James Lacey Moore
3. Dock Moore married (?) Rockmore.
4. Jane Moore married Lump Palmer.
5. Frederick "Fed" Moore
F. Susannah (Susan) BRASWELL, born February 13, 1814, in Greenville County, South Carolina, and died September 22, 1865, in Gwinnett County, Georgia, C.S.A. She was the second wife of Samuel Oliver, born July 15, 1797, in Abbeville District, South Carolina, and died July 25, 1869. Samuel and Susan Oliver are buried in the BRASWELL Family Cemetery in Loganville, Georgia.
G. Ephraim BRASWELL was born in Greenville County, South Carolina, March 16, 1816, and died November 16, 1887, Gwinnett County, Georgia. Ephraim and Dolly Moon, born January 15, 1816, died May 10, 1886, were married in Walton County, Georgia, January 7, 1841, and shortly thereafter moved to the Cates District, 36th subdivision of Gwinnett County. Children of Ephraim and Dolly:
1. Sarah E. BRASWELL, 1843-1864 (death occurred in the C.S.A.)
2. Mary Jane BRASWELL who married Rev. Andrew J. Webb.
3. William Hampton BRASWELL married Lizzie Cooper.
4. Elizabeth BRASWELL married Joe P. Rockmore.
5. Susan Ann BRASWELL married John West Brand.
6. John Wesley BRASWELL married Melitius Autine Tribble
7. James Zachery BRASWELL married Emma J. Robertson in 1872.
H. Jonothan Derrell BRASWELL, youngest son of Valentine BRASWELL, was born May 20, 1820, in Madison County, Georgia, and died after 1880 in Merriweather County, Georgia. His first wife was Elizabeth Logan of Gwinnett County. They had eleven children. Jonothan's second marriage was to Martha (Bean) Reid, who had one daughter, Mary, by a previous marriage. This marriage produced eight children:
1. Derrell Hampton BRASWELL, born January 2, 1866, C.S.A.
2. Robert Lee BRASWELL, born April 1868, C.S.A.
3. Jonothan Taylor BRASWELL, born May 20, 1870.
4. Eugenia BRASWELL, born November 15, 1872, and died June 23, 1874.
5. L. Alonzo BRASWELL, born May 30, 1876, died the same day.
6. David Marshall BRASWELL, born September 11, 1878.
7. Howard H. BRASWELL, born May 7, 1880, and died August 1, 1884.
8. Henry R. BRASWELL, born February 9, 1883.
Part of the information given above was supplied by Mary Claire Oliver Cox (Mrs. Henry Miot), 1145 North 44th Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68503. Mrs. Cox is the great granddaughter of Samuel and Susan (BRASWELL) Oliver, and the great, great granddaughter of Valentine BRASWELL.
DAVID BRASWELL, SON OF VALENTINE BRASWELL
1. David BRASWELL, eldest son of Valentine BRASWELL, was born in South Carolina 1799 and died 1863 in Walton County, Georgia, C.S.A. David married Mary Forester December 18, 1818, Madison County, Georgia. Their children:
A. Larkin, born 1821 F. Lucy, born 1837
B. Lancelot, born 1827 G. Lydia, born 1839
C. Landy, born 1831 H. Lanzi, born 1841
D. Leonard, born 1833 I. Letty, born 1842
E. Lewis, born 1835
LARKIN BRASWELL, SON OF DAVID BRASWELL
1. Larkin BRASWELL, son of David and Mary, was born 1821, Madison County, Georgia, and died 186-. His first marriage was to Susannah McCulloughs December 20, 1846, Walton County, Georgia. Their children:
A. Amesica BRASWELL
B. William BRASWELL
His second marriage was to Nancy A.E. Coleman, December 12, 1852, Jefferson County, Georgia. Larkin took up arms about 1862 and never returned home from the war. His brother stated that he was killed. The children of Larkin and Nancy:
A. Ella BRASWELL, born 1855
B. Jordon BRASWELL, born 1858
C. James Wright BRASWELL, 1860
2. James Wright BRASWELL, son of Larkin and Nancy BRASWELL, was born February 1860, Jefferson County, Georgia, and died 1945, Emanuel County. He married Maggie P. Pounder on January 19, 1888, in Burke County, Georgia. His
second marriage was to Mrs. Louvina (Lovin) Sherrod in 1893. She was the daughter of James and Mary (Hayes) Lovin. Their children:
A. Myrtle, born 1894 E. Sumpter W., born 1902
B. Mae, born 1895 F. Barney, born 1904
C. James N., born 1898 G. Ben, born 1906
D. John D., born 1900 H. Alma, born 1908
3. Ben Baily BRASWELL, the son of James Wright BRASWELL, was born August 10, 1906, Emanuel County, Georgia. He Married Inez Portwood on June 5, 1927, in Midville, Georgia. Their children:
A. Nannie Lou, born 1930 F. Frances, born 1942
B. James A., born 1932 G. Larry Marvin, born 1946
C. Benny David, born 1934 H. Rondy, born 1947
D. Bobby Donald, born 1936 I. Ted Dana, born 1949
E. Dorothy Ellen, born 1939
Mrs. Marjorie BRASWELL of Hephzibah, Georgia, sent this information.
LANCELOT BRASWELL, SON OF DAVID BRASWELL
1. Lancelot BRASWELL, born 1827, married Margaret Stroud. Both Lancelot and Margaret were buried on their farm. They had three children:
A. Ephraim BRASWELL
B. John William BRASWELL
C. Susannah Matilda BRASWELL
2. John William BRASWELL was born March 5, 1851. He married Mildred Catherine Booth on February 3, 1878. She was born February 17, 1859. Their children:
A. James L. "Lace" BRASWELL
B. Connie Elizabeth BRASWELL, born September 25, 1879, married William Jack Booth.
C. William Thomas "W.T." BRASWELL, born 1881, married Fannie Gresham.
D. Reuben A. BRASWELL, born 1893.
3. Reuben Allen BRASWELL, son of John and Mildred, was born October 7, 1893, Walton County, Georgia. He married Julia Ann Elizabeth Lane, born December 1, 1903, Jackson County, Georgia. She was the daughter of Edward S. and Jane (Gibbs) Lane. Reuben A. was inducted into the U.S. Military Service May 29, 1918. He received his training at Camp Gordon, Chamblee, Georgia. He was assigned to 67th Replacement; Army Serial No. 3,485,321. In 1918 he went overseas and arrived at LaHarve August 7, 1918. For many years after the War he practiced law in Decatur, Georgia. He has been a very active man and among his hobbies is the tracing of his line of BRASWELLS The children of Reuben A. and Julia Ann:
A. Mildred Jane BRASWELL, born May 15, 1938, she married Wilson W. Smith. Their sons (?):
1. Thomas Smith
2. Matthew Smith
B. Alvin Lane BRASWELL
WESLEY BRASWELL, SON OF VALENTINE BRASWELL
1. Wesley BRASWELL, second son of Valentine, was born April 1, 1801, in South Carolina, and married Mary Ann New July 26, 1822, in Madison County, Georgia. On the 1850 Census of DeKalb County, Georgia, Diamond District, Wesley BRAZIL (BRASWELL) is listed as the head of a household and in the 1860 Census, both Wesley and his son Jacob are listed as heads of households. The children of Wesley and Mary Ann:
A. Jacob, born June 25, 1824 H. Ephraim, born September 25, 1836
B. Elizabeth, born May 1, 1826 I. Isaac L., born July 24, 1838
C. William, born January 6, 1828 J. Newton, born February 2, 1840
D. John, born August 6, 1829 K. Elijah, born January 2, 1842
E. Henry, born May 20, 1831 L. Mary Ann, born September 9, 1843
F. Burrell, born March 9, 1832 M. Derrell, born July 7, 1845
G. Sarah, born February 20, 1834 N. Martha, born July 14, 1847
2. Jacob BRASWELL, born June 25, 1824, married Eliza Jane (?), September 4, 1862, in DeKalb County, Georgia, C.S.A. Their children:
A. Elizabeth BRASWELL D. Charles Sherwood BRASWELL
B. Margaret E. BRASWELL E. Jacob Elam BRASWELL
C. Willa Jane BRASWELL F. Waymon BRASWELL
3. Charles Sherwood BRASWELL, son of Jacob and Eliza Jane BRASWELL, was born September 20, 1870. He married Margaret Weigel January 29, 1905, in Memphis, Tennessee. Their children:
A. Ethelbert Callahan BRASWELL C. Corrine Ann BRASWELL
B. Charles Francis BRASWELL D. Anthony Sherwood BRASWELL
4. Ethelbert Callahan BRASWELL was born November 27, 1905. He married Olive Marion Ritch in Tularosa, New Mexico. Their daughters:
A. Carolyn N. BRASWELL, born November 6, 1937. She was married on December 15, 1957, to Larry Oxborrow. Their children:
1. Elaine Ann Oxborrow
2. Douglas Grant Oxborrow
B. Margaret Lessie BRASWELL was born April 9, 1941, and married George Frank Hill on November 25, 1960. Their children:
1. George Raymond Hill 3. Edward Callahan Hill
2. Jo Ann Hill
This lineage was compiled from census records, bible records, and records prepared by Reuben A. BRASWELL in his GENEALOGY OF VALENTINE BRASWELL, published 1966.
WILLIAM BRASWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1729-c1811)
1. William BRASWELL, fifth child of Richard and Obedience (Snow) BRASWELL, was born 1766 in North Carolina. His second marriage was to Elizabeth (?), who was born 1787, in North Carolina. In his long life, William lived in North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri before moving to Arkansas. William served in the War of 1812 in Captain William Jones Company of Illinois. In 1830, while living in Fulton County, Missouri, he ran for the office of County Commissioner. Later they moved to Arkansas where they appeared in the 1840 Benton County, Arkansas, Census and lived there until their deaths. They were buried on the old BRASWELL farm near Green Forest, Arkansas, off Highway 62 in what is called the
Green Forest Pioneer Cemetery (see page 172). Their children:
A. Sam BRASWELL, born 1812 married Phoebe.
B. Robert BRASWELL, born 1815 in Illinois married Susannah.
C. Simeon BRASWELL, born 1817 married Mary.
D. Charles BRASWELL, born 1819 married Elizabeth.
ROBERT BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM BRASWELL
1. Robert BRASWELL, son of William and probably his second wife Elizabeth, was born 1815 in Illinois. He married Susannah Mills, who was born 1816 in Tennessee. They were living in Caroll County, Arkansas, 1850-1880.
2. Delitha Queenie BRASWELL, daughter of Robert and Susannah BRASWELL, was born August 16, 1854, Illinois. She died January 30, 1907, Van Buren, Arkansas. She married Wyatt Madison Harp, who was born July 3, 1851, Greenville, Missouri. Wyatt died December 7, 1907, in Vian, Oklahoma.
3. Samuel Clark Harp, son of Delitha and Wyatt, was born January 16, 1877, Springfield, Missouri. On November 7, 1899, he married Mattie Elizabeth Hammer. Samuel died September 1, 1950, Short, Oklahoma.
4. Blanche Mabel Harp, daughter of Samuel and Mattie Harp, was born January 30, 1911, Blackgum, Sequoyah County, Oklahoma. She married James Oscar Benson, born June 29, 1908, Tiawah, Roger County, Oklahoma, December 14, 1927.
5. Mattie Benson, daughter of Blanche and James Benson, married Gilbert Smith. Their home is Rt. 4, Box 34, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
SIMEON BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM BRASWELL
1. Simeon (Simon) BRASWELL, born 1817, married Mary Ann Tabor. Their children:
A. Mary Ann (Polly), born 1842, Arkansas.
B. Andrew Jackson, born 1844, Arkansas.
C. Thomas B., born 1845.
D. Catherine, born 1846, Arkansas.
E. Susan, born 1851, Arkansas.
Mary Ann BRASWELL, Daughter of Simeon (Simon) BRASWELL
1. Mary Ann BRASWELL, daughter of Simeon BRASWELL, was born February 6, 1842, Carroll County, Arkansas, and died December 10, 1906, in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. She married Joseph Ewing who was born March 31, 1839, Newton County, Arkansas, and died March 4, 1918, Eureka Springs. They were married June 16, 1861, Arkansas, Confederate States of America.
2. Ida May Ewing, daughter of Mary Ann and Joseph Ewing, was born May 5, 1876. In 1894, she married Richard "Dick" Bailey, born January 15, 1869, Marion County, Arkansas. Dick died March 17, 1935.
3. Walter Earl Bailey, son of Ida Mae and Dick Bailey, was born June 14, 1895, Aurora, Missouri, and died December 2, 1970, in Wichita, Kansas. October 5, 1919, he married Pearl Octavis "Polly" Williams, who was born October 17, 1900, Miami
County, Oklahoma. She was the daughter of Henry Oscar and Margaret Missouri (DeWitt) Williams. Walter and Pearl's children:
A. Margaret Eileen, born September 25, 1921.
B. Jack Earl, born September 27, 1927, and died the next day.
C. An infant son was born and died July 17, 1929.
D. Daniel Earl, born Christmas Eve 1932.
4. Margaret Eileen Bailey, daughter of Walter and Pearl BRASWELL, was born September 25, 1921, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and married Cleman L. Sawyer August 30, 1941. Cleman was born March 1, 1919, Hunnewell, Kansas. Their daughter:
A. Katheryn Eileen Sawyer was born January 3, 1947, St. Louis, Missouri, and married Daryl Lewis Johnson on December 27, 1969.
This information was sent by Margaret Eileen Bailey Sawyer of Wichita, Kansas.
Andrew Jackson BRASWELL, Son Of Simeon (Simon) BRASWELL
1. Andrew Jackson BRASWELL was born 1844 in Arkansas. He married Louisa Youngblood. Their children:
A. Columbia BRASWELL, deceased.
B. Ernest Ray BRASWELL of Harrison, Arkansas.
C. James Thomas "Jimmie" BRASWELL, married Elizabeth Hubbs.
D. Jewel Ingersol BRASWELL of Neosho, Arkansas.
2. James Thomas "Jimmie" BRASWELL married Elizabeth Hubbs, daughter of Thomas K. Hubbs of Indiana who moved to Arkansas. They were married November 17, 1895. For information on Jimmie and Elizabeth BRASWELL's early life, see page 143. Their children:
A. Christie Ardella BRASWELL, born October 9, 1898.
B. Olin Klute BRASWELL, born January 1, 1900.
C. Eldon Francis Fred BRASWELL, was born April 14, 1903.
D. Birdie Mae BRASWELL was born October 29, 1905.
E. James BRASWELL was born August 9, 1907.
F. Wilma Lorene BRASWELL, born January 6, 1910.
G. Curgus Carl BRASWELL, born August 6, 1912.
H. Wanda Norene BRASWELL, born November 28, 1915.
I. Joy Leon BRASWELL, born June 20, 1919.
J. Mary Louise BRASWELL, born September 28, 1923.
3. Olin Klute BRASWELL was born January 1, 1900, in Green Forest, Arkansas. He married Mattie Kendall. Their son:
A. Bruce Karl BRASWELL. He married Laurel Nichols. In 1972, they were in England attending Oxford University and teaching some classes.
Olin Klute BRASWELL has a very lovely home in Berryville, Arkansas. He is a man of many interests and hobbies, yet he has time to give an unexpected visitor a welcome and to share his information with him. He and his wife- Mattie have many interesting pictures, paintings, and exquisite dishes. Their home is really the "House of Clocks" for in every room clocks of different makes and from many different countries chime out the hours. Very pleasant, and not at all distracting- RBB.
GEORGE BRASWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1729-c1811)
1. George BRASWELL, son of Richard and Obedience, was born about 1773, in North Carolina, and died about 1841. He married Nancy Massey, daughter of Noel
Massey (Mafsey, Massa), who was born about 1785 to 1790 and died 1876 at the age of 86. To them were born fifteen children:
A. Asa, born 1801 I. Sarah Jane, born 1818
B. Harrison, born 1803 J. George, born 1820
C. Mary (Polly), born 1804 K. William Anderson, born 1822
D. Emily Milla, born 1806 L. Matilda, born 1825
E. Nancy, born 1809 M. Juliann, born 1826
F. Amanda Elizabeth, born 1812 N. Priscilla, born 1827
G. James, born 1814 O. Frances, born 1829
H. Caron, born 1816 P. Caroline, born 1830
2. William Anderson BRASWELL, born in 1822 in South Carolina, and died 1863, in Choctaw County, Mississippi, Confederate States of America. He married Mary Ann Hunt about 1840. Mary Ann was born 1822, South Carolina and died August 13, 1872, Montgomery County. Her parents were William Jeremiah and Zaney (Massey) Hunt. They had six children (see picture page 85). Anderson volunteered for the Confederate Army and served for a brief time. According to his army record, he was granted leave to return home to check on his family's well being. To get to his family, he had to swim the Black River which, being Wintertime, was flooded to the width of at least two miles. He made the crossing, but never recovered. He died in 1863 of exposure and pneumonia. Mary Ann lingered for nine years before succumbing to grief in 1872.
A. William Pinkny "Pink" BRASWELL, born April 25, 1845, and died November 11, 1922.
B. James Wilson BRASWELL, born June 30, 1851, and died August 19, 1914.
C. John Wesley BRASWELL, born January 15, 1854, and died November 6, 1924.
D. Savannah Susan "Susie" BRASWELL, born in Georgia in 1857.
E. "Dock" Milford BRASWELL, born February 1858, and died January 25, 1919.
F. William A. "Cap" BRASWELL, Jr., born November 22, 1861, C.S.A., and died January 31, 1937.
JAMES WILSON BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM ANDERSON BRASWELL
1. James Wilson BRASWELL, born June 30, 1851, South Carolina, died August 19, 1914, Montgomery County, Mississippi. He married Sarahan Elizabeth Gregg, the daughter of F.M. and Nancy Gregg. Sarahan was born October 18, 1853, and died March 14, 1933, in Montgomery County. Both are buried on "BRASWELL Row", Hebron Baptist Church Cemetery, Montgomery County. Their children:
A. Anderson Frances, b. 1872 H. Lillie Savannah, b. 1883
B. Marry Maggie, b. 1874 I. Emmie Ionia, b. 1884
C. James Hillard, b. 1875 J. Renie Purnell, b. 1886
D. George Henry, b. 1876 K. Anderson Preston, b. 1888
E. Nancy Rosette Eliz., b. 1878 L. Paul Luther, b. 1891
F. Anna, b. 1880 M. Shula, b. 1893
G. Lula, b. 1881
2. George Henry BRASWELL, was born December 13, 1876, Montgomery County, Mississippi, and died April 18, 1964, and was buried in the Winona Cemetery, Montgomery County. On January 16, 1896, he married Elizabeth "Betty" Harrison Evans who was born November 3, 1877, Montgomery County and died September 29, 1954. She was buried in the Winona Cemetery. She was the daughter of William Lee and Dinah (Herring) Evans. (See page 85.) Their children:
A. Wilson Lee, b. 1896 B. Hillard Huley, b. 1898
Standing left to right: Charlie Bell, Milton Edward, and George Henry BRASWELL. All sitting left to right are sons of William Anderson and Mary Ann (Hunt) BRASWELL: John W., "Dock" Milford, William Pinkney "Pink", William Anderson "Cap" Jr., and James Wilson BRASWELL. This picture was taken in 1895.
George Henry and Betty BRASWELL (parents of Hildon B. BRASWELL) with their first three children: Wilson, Huley, and Claude. This picture was taken in 1901. Both photos on this page were provided by Hildon Basil BRASWELL.
Page 85 Note: reserve for images
C. William Claude, b. 1901 H. Denton Chesley, b. 1913
D. Clyde Bell, b. 1903 I. Hildon Basil, b. 1915
E. Rommie Alexander, b. 1905 J. Warren Stancel, b. 1918
F. Clarrie Flaulen, b. 1907 K. Noel Upton, b. 1921
G. Glen Leroy, b. 1910 L. Bonnie Lyzella, b. 1922
3. Hildon Basil "Hill" BRASWELL was born November 15, 1915, in Attala County, Mississippi, and married Myrtle Belle "Mac" McLellan on Christmas Eve 1939. Mac was born June 14, 1918, Holmes County, Mississippi. Hildon, who served in the United States Marine Corps, was promoted to Top Sergeant on March 3, 1942, at the age of 26, one of the youngest to do so in Corps history at that time. He left the Marines after World War II, but later served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War and retired with the rank of Captain. He was very active in his community and was a member of the Attala Masonic Lodge No. 606. He was very interested in genealogy and wrote "BRASWELL FAMILY HISTORY AND ALLIED FAMILIES" after forty years of research, and was very supportive of Joyce Braswell in her research and updates for this book. Hill died February 9, 1990, Jackson, Mississippi, and was entombed February 12, 1990, at the Lakewood Cemetery. --Like his family and friends, I will miss him very much, and will Hill and Mac BRASWELL always be grateful for his encouragement, his 1987 humor, and his support- JAB.-- Hill and Mac had two children:
A. Mitzi Diane BRASWELL was born July 1, 1952, and married Lester Ray Jones, Jr. on April 22, 1978, in Jackson, Mississippi. Their son:
1. Kevin Matthew Jones was born July 20, 1980.
B. Randy Phillip BRASWELL is living and working in San Francisco, California.
This information was provided by Hildon B. BRASWELL and can found in it's complete form in his book, THE BRASWELL FAMILY HISTORY AND ALLIED FAMILIES copyright 1989, published Jackson, MS
"DOCK" MILFORD BRASWELL, SON OF WILLIAM ANDERSON BRASWELL
1. "Dock" BRASWELL was born in February 1858 in Georgia. He married Lilly Perdittie Cannon on October 23, 1879, Lilly was born October 23, 18-? and died June 7, 1948. She was buried in the Hebron Cemetery in Montgomery County, Mississippi. Their children:
A. Ida Florence BRASWELL G. Walter BRASWELL
B. James Anderson BRASWELL H. Luther Hillard BRASWELL
C. Jesse Lavering BRASWELL I. Victor Dewey BRASWELL
D. George Pickney BRASWELL J. Gladstone Grayden BRASWELL
E. Henry Milton BRASWELL K. Johnny Lawton BRASWELL
F. Fannie May BRASWELL
2. James Anderson "Mr. Jeems" BRASWELL was born October 16, 1882, Carroll County, Mississippi, and died August 9, 1963, and was buried in the Berea Cemetery in Attala County, Mississippi. He married Lelia Autrey Davidson who was born June 24, 1882, in Arkansas and died October 16, 1978, and was buried in the Berea Cemetery. Her parents were James and Mary Louise (Miller) Davidson. Their children:
A. Annie Cannon BRASWELL D. Albert McCelan BRASWELL
B. Jimmie Howard BRASWELL E. Julious Elmer BRASWELL
C. Henry Griffin BRASWELL F. Trilla Louise BRASWELL
3. Julious Elmer BRASWELL was born September 3, 1913, and married Ina Leah Brooks, who was born August 29, 1912. Her parents were Marion Emmett and Iva Eudora (Burns) Brooks. Julious died May 10, 1984, and was buried in the Bethsada Cemetery. Their children:
A. Marion Leroy BRASWELL, born May 28, 1936 (?).
B. William Gary BRASWELL, born March 2, 1940.
C. Ninah Waiya BRASWELL, born July 2, 1943.
D. James Denmond BRASWELL, born September 9, 1948.
E. Wendell Ray BRASWELL, born July 2, 1952.
4. Marion Leroy BRASWELL was born June 23, 1936 (?), French Camp, Mississippi. On December 23, 1955, he married Millie Ann Taylor who was born November 11, 1937, Poplar Creek, Mississippi. Their son:
A. Bruce Mitchell BRASWELL, born May 26, 1959, Roseville, California.
This information was provided by the Marion L. BRASWELL family.
ANN BRACEWELL, DAUGHTER OF RICHARD BRACEWELL (1651-1734)
1. Ann BRACEWELL, second child of Richard (1651-1734) and Sarah, was born 1674 in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia. She married Matthew Strickland who was born in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, about 1665 and died October 25, 1730. Their children :
A. John Strickland F. Sarah Strickland
B. William Strickland G. Ann Strickland
C. Sampson Strickland H. Elizabeth Strickland
D. Jacob Strickland I. Jane Strickland
E. Joseph Strickland J. Matthew Strickland
2. Jacob Strickland was born 1697 in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, and he died about 1790 as his will was probated in November of 1790. There are indications that he was married twice, to Lucretia Pitts and to Miss Wilson, but it's not clear which is the mother of his children. There is only information on two of Jacob's sons, Henry and Soloman Strickland.
Henry Strickland, Son Of Jacob Strickland
1. Henry Strickland was born about 1745 in North Carolina. He died 1796, Jackson County. He married Mary Hickman.
2. Carlos (Carless, Carrolus) Strickland, son of Henry, was born about 1776 in North Carolina and died 1861, Jackson County, Georgia, Confederate States of America. He married Polly Chatman.
3. Jene (Jennie) Strickland, daughter of Carlos, was born April 26, 1802, Jackson County, Georgia,
and died about 1872. Jennie married Nathan Johnson Sharp.
4. Edmund Johnson Sharp, son of Jennie and Nathan, was born January 9, 1826, Jackson County and died November 18, 1888. On January 21, 1854, he married Margaret Harrison, daughter of John and Margaret (Stuart) Harrison. She was born January 10, 1820, in Jackson County and died June 8, 1865, C.S.A.
5. Nathaniel Thomas Sharp, born March 6, 1859, Jackson County, died April 18, 1929, Wichita Falls, Texas. He married Ida Talulah Hudson on January 1, 1884. She was the daughter of Thomas and Dehitia Anna (Yerby) Hudson. She was born April 4, 1860, and died November 24, 1920, Dodge City, Kansas.
6. Charles Rockwell Sharp, son of Nathaniel and Ida, was born October 20, 1884, Athens, Clark County, Georgia, and died May 23, 1948, Pueblo, Colorado. On July 30, 1917, he married Evanna Leta Carpenter, who was born November 8, 1895, Humbolt, Kansas, and died April 6, 1960, Homelake, Colorado. She was the daughter of David and Sarah Jane (Moon) Carpenter.
7. Lyle Sharp, son of Charles and Evanna, was born June 2, 1918, Dodge City, Kansas. On December 14, 1941, he married Mary Annabell Palmer. Their children:
A. Lyle, Jr., born March 1, 1943. C. Samuel Lee, born June 4, 1945.
B. Robert David born June 9, 1944. D. Kelley, born February 22, 1953.
The home of Mrs. Lyle Sharp in 1979 was in Pueblo, Colorado.
Soloman Strickland, Son Of Jacob Strickland
1. Soloman Strickland was born in Guilford County, North Carolina. He married Amy Pace on September 19, 1764. He died 1818 and Amy died 1815. They had a large family.
2. Ezekiel Strickland, son of Soloman and Amy, married Elizabeth Jane Haynes somewhere in the late 1760's or 1770's (?). Their children:
A. Hardy Strickland I. Eliza Strickland
B. Ephraim Strickland J. Milly Strickland
C. Henry Strickland K. Elizabeth Strickland
D. Ezekiel Strickland, Jr. L. Soloman Strickland
E. Elisha Strickland M. James Strickland
F. Amy Strickland N. Sophia Strickland
G. Jane Strickland O. Ludocia Strickland
H. Polly Ann Strickland
3. Amy Strickland, daughter of Ezekiel Sr. and Elizabeth, was born 1800 and married Joseph Moore Wyatt, born 1797, Newton County, Georgia. He died 1875. They had sixteen children.
4. Richard Henry Wyatt, son of Amy and Joseph, was born October 17, 1825, Cherokee County, Georgia, and died July 1864 in the Civil War. He married Louise Ann Varner, who was born April 15, 1835, in Sumpter County. Their children:
A. Mary Ellen Wyatt D. Medora Ann Wyatt
B. George Washington Wyatt E. Richard Henry Wyatt
C. Emma Jane Wyatt F. Catherine Wyatt
5. George Washington Wyatt, son of Richard and Louise, was born December 16, 1856, Sumpter County, Georgia, and died May 28, 1936, Greenlee County, Arizona. He married Emma Eliza Bryan who was born August 6, 1860, Pike County, Alabama. Their children:
A. Beaulah E. Wyatt F. Walter Washington Wyatt
B. Lula Bertha Wyatt G. Sarah Eudora Wyatt
C. Lilla Esther Wyatt H. Byron B. Wyatt
D. Ada Alabama Wyatt I. Emma Corine Wyatt
E. George Wyatt J. Thaddie Haiden Wyatt
6. Thaddie H. Wyatt, daughter of George and Emma, was born June 13, 1901, Graham County, Arizona, and died June 5, 1974. She married Clarence Bourgeous on August 3, 1917.
This information was furnished by Eloise Talley of Safford, Arizona.
ROBERT BRACEWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRACEWELL (1651-1734)
1. Robert BRACEWELL, son of Richard BRACEWELL (1651-1734) and Sarah, was born in 1677 and he must have died about 1735 or 1736 as his will was proved in 1736. He married Sarah (?).
2. Richard BRASWELL, born 1704, was the son of Robert BRACEWELL and Sarah. Richard's will was written December 7, 1767, and probated January 1772. He married another Elizabeth Bryant.
3. Richard BRASWELL, son of Richard (1704-1772?) and Elizabeth, was born in 1732 and his will was probated 1799. He married Elizabeth Dulaney. Their children:
A. Richard, born 1755, pg. 89-91. E. Jesse (married Rebecca Blow)
B. Sampson BRASWELL F. Rodah BRASWELL
C. Shadrack, b. 1765 pg. 91-93. G. Anney BRASWELL married (?) Sauls
D. David BRASWELL
RICHARD BRASWELL (1755-1839), SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1732-1799?)
1. Richard BRASWELL was born July 1755 and died August 20, 1839. He married Penelope Blow, born October 27, 1761, on October 11, 1780. Penelope's sister (cousin?) Rebecca Blow married Richard's brother, Jesse BRASWELL. (See record of their father, Richard) Richard served in the Revolutionary War and his family's information was taken from his war record. Penelope died August 30, 1846. Their children were all born in Wayne County, North Carolina:
A. Richard, Oct. 7, 1781 F. Benjamin Blow, June 28, 1795
B. Dulaney, May 14, 1782 G. Patty, September 19, 1797
C. Elizabeth, July 21, 1784 H. Bryant, October 22, 1799
D. Burrell, November 30, 1787 I. Cullen, April 18, 1801?
E. Irvin, March 2, 1790 J. Penelope, no date given
Irvin BRASWELL Son Of Richard Braswell (1755-1839)
1. Irvin BRASWELL, born March 2, 1790, Wayne County and died September or October 1845 in Anson County, North Carolina. He married 1830-1832 Elizabeth Porter who was born 1808-1810, North Carolina and died 1880.
Thomas Mobry BRASWELL, Son Of Irvin BRASWELL
1. Thomas M. BRASWELL, son of Irvin, was born about 1827 in Anson County, North Carolina. He married Nancy Joanna Valentine.
2. Rosa Belle BRASWELL, born February 4, 1872, Jefferson County, Florida, married Daniel Bryan Mills.
3. Elizabeth Mills, daughter of Rosa Belle and Daniel, was born August 7, 1907, in Monticello, Florida.
Daniel N. BRASWELL, Son Of Irvin BRASWELL
1. Daniel N. BRASWELL, son of Irvin, was born June 15, 1841, Anson County and died February 11, 1896, Pleasant Hill, Hot Springs County, Arkansas. In 1870 or 71 he married Elizabeth Anne Caraway, who was born March 3, 1841, Anson County and died January 8, 1911, Arkadelphia. She was the daughter of William T. and Nancy (Richardson) Caraway.
2. Dovie Alice BRASWELL, daughter of Daniel, was born June 21, 1872, Arkadelphia, Arkansas. She married Charles Franklin Berry, born August 4, 1869, Donaldson, Arkansas, and died December 12, 1940, in Donaldson. They were married July 7, 1889.
3. Madge Berry, daughter of Dovie and Charles Berry, was born November 16, 1892, Donaldson, Arkansas, and died December 21, 1960, Little Rock, Arkansas. She married David Calvin Thomas who was born November 2, 1891, Hart's Chapel, Arkansas, and died June 3, 1968, in Little Rock, Arkansas.
4. Duane C. Thomas, son of Madge and David Thomas, was born August 6, 1929, Little Rock, Arkansas, and married Mildred Robertene Jones September 15, 1950. Mildred was born Christmas Eve 1932 in Hart's Chapel, Arkansas.
Benjamin BRASWELL, Son Of Richard BRASWELL (1755-1839)
1. Benjamin Blow BRASWELL, son of Richard (1755-1839) and Penelope, was born June 6, 1795, and married Mary Baucam. Their children:
A. Shepphard BRASWELL D. Penelope BRASWELL
B. John F.E. BRASWELL E. Sarah BRASWELL
C. William Ervin BRASWELL
2. John F.E. BRASWELL, son of Benjamin, was born March 25, 1837, and died January 13, 1903. John was probably married twice. One wife being Elva Hargette, born in Union County, and the other being Esther Ellen Presley, who was born 1846 and died 1930. It is difficult to tell which was the mother of his children. John BRASWELL's children:
A. Mary Ellen, born 1867 G. John B., born 1880
B. James Caldwell, born 1869 H. Laula, born 1882
C. Martha, born 1871 I. Winchester, born 1883
D. William, born 1873 J. Lonnie Wilson, born 1885?
E. Estelle, born 1876 K. Maranda, born 1887
F. Alive Asbury, born 1878 L. Thomas E., born 1890
James Caldwell BRASWELL, son of John F.E. BRASWELL
1. James Caldwell BRASWELL, born September 6, 1869, Union County, North Carolina, and
died December 16, 1936. He married Dora BRASWELL who was born September 25, 1892, Union County, North Carolina (parents names unknown).
2. Solon B. BRASWELL, son of James Caldwell, was born May 6, 1895, married Lorena Baucam, who was born February 22, 1897.
Lonnie BRASWELL, Son Of John F.E. BRASWELL
1. Lonnie Wilson Braswell was born 1886 and died 1957. He married Mary Asbury Little in 1908. Their children:
A. Curtis Cicero BRASWELL G. Preston BRASWELL
B. Winchester BRASWELL H. Barney BRASWELL
C. Lloyd BRASWELL I. John BRASWELL
D. Keith BRASWELL J. Pauline (Polly) BRASWELL
E. Jerry BRASWELL K. Beatrice BRASWELL
F. Claude BRASWELL L. Betty BRASWELL
2. Curtis Cicero BRASWELL was born 1918 and died 1969. In 1950 he married Laverne Thomas. They had two children.
A. Sandra Elaine BRASWELL was born June 6, 1955.
B. Wayne Charles BRASWELL, born April 7, 1960.
3. Sandra Elaine BRASWELL was born June 6, 1955, and she married Samuel M. Youngblood on December 28, 1974.
SHADRACK BRASWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRASWELL (1732-1799?)
1. Shadrack BRASWELL, third son of Richard and Elizabeth, was born 1765, and married Sarah Trull. Sarah was born November 28, 1802, Anson County, North Carolina, and died Christmas Day 1895. Shadrack served in the war of 1812. The file number of his service record is S.O. 34559: served under Captain Lanier's Company, N.C. (see pg 159). The children of Shadrack and Sarah:
A. James Milton BRASWELL, born 1828
B. Ellen BRASWELL, oldest twin.
C. Polly BRASWELL, youngest twin.
2. James Milton BRASWELL, born December 19, 1828, Union County, died December 7, 1924, in Charlotte, North Carolina. James was married three times, first to Obedience Price, second to Martha Benton, and finally to Nancy Jane Williams. This line stems from the marriage to Obedience Price, daughter of William Price. Their children:
A. Neal Wilson BRASWELL, who married Caroline Williams.
B. Hampton BRASWELL, who married Jane Pressly.
C. Hiram BRASWELL, who married Martha James.
D. Elam BRASWELL, who married Margaret Price.
E. Calvin BRASWELL, who married Lula Griffin.
F. Martha Ellen BRASWELL, who married Joseph James.
G. Mary Jane BRASWELL, who married Billy Griffin (brother of Lula?)
H. John E. BRASWELL died unmarried.
James Milton's third marriage to Nancy Jane produced five children who are not in this family line, but should be included as they are half brothers and sisters to the children of James and Obedience. The children of James M. and Nancy Jane:
A. Oscar BRASWELL, who married Norna Price.
B. Chester BRASWELL, who married Odis Marsh.
C. Birdie BRASWELL, who married Rev. Albert Stevens.
D. Conley BRASWELL, who married Kate Presson.
E. Willie BRASWELL, who married Lee Bailey.
Neal Wilson BRASWELL, Son Of James Milton BRASWELL
1. Neal Wilson BRASWELL, oldest child of James M. and Obedience, born in Union County, North Carolina, married Carolina Williams who died 1882. She was the daughter of John D. Williams. Two of their children:
A. William Culpepper BRASWELL, born August 21, 1870.
B. Dora BRASWELL, born September 25, 1872.
William Culpepper BRASWELL, Son of Neal Wilson BRASWELL
1. William Culpepper BRASWELL was born August 21, 1870, in Union County, North Carolina, and died February 8, 1948, in Union County. February 28, 1894, he married Matilda Jane Helms who was born December 27, 1875, and died November 21, 1943. She was the daughter of Asgill and Matilda (Purser) Helms.
2. Wayne William BRASWELL was born December 11, 1901, N. Union County, North Carolina. August 26, 1925, he married Hattie Mae Outen who was born July 7, 1904, Union County and died July 18, 1981, in Orlando, Florida. Their children:
A. William Wayne BRASWELL D. Billy Jack BRASWELL
B. Dora Jane married D. Jernigan. E. Kenneth Edward BRASWELL
C. Diane K. married Bobby Epps.
3. William Wayne BRASWELL was born May 8, 1926, Union County, North Carolina, and married Marian Virginia Lawhon on June 30, 1956. She was born December 6, 1933, in Darlington County, South Carolina. Her parents were Otis and Julia Mae (Flowers) Lawhon. Their children:
A. Deborah Lynn BRASWELL, born August 16, 1957, in Columbia, South Carolina. She married Timothy Corbin August 11, 1979.
B. Steven Wayne BRASWELL, born May 6, 1964, Columbia, South Carolina.
This information courtesy of William Wayne BRASWELL of Hopkins, South Carolina.
Elam BRASWELL, Son Of James Milton BRASWELL
1. Elam BRASWELL, fourth child of James M. and Obedience, was born February 17, 1859, in Union County, North Carolina. He married Margaret Price May 10, 1883. Margaret was born August 15, 1865, and died May 4, 1929, in Union County. Elam died August 19, 1934, Union County. Their children:
A. Leona A. BRASWELL, married Willie Deese.
B. E. Wilma BRASWELL, married Jeff Bivens.
C. Rilla M. BRASWELL, married Clegg Hamilton.
D. Evander S. BRASWELL, married Kate Griffin.
E. Bruner BRASWELL, married Maye Russell.
F. Alma J. BRASWELL, married Albert Butler.
G. Ivey M. BRASWELL, died at five years of age.
H. Mary Jean BRASWELL, married Wade Austin.
I. A. Irene BRASWELL, married Wilton Kiker.
J. J. Smith BRASWELL, married Clard Simpson.
K. Grace E. BRASWELL, married Grant Moore.
2. A. Irene BRASWELL, daughter of Elam and Margaret, was born March 11, 1905, Union
County, North Carolina. May 16, 1926, she married Wilton A. Kiker who was born December 12, 1902. Their children:
A. Helen Holmes Kiker, born February 26, 1927, and died August 26, 1961. Helen married Ray Ardis September 3, 1959. Their children:
1. Beverly R. Ardis married Randy Davis.
2. Michael R. Ardis was unmarried prior to 1974.
B. Billy C. Kiker, born February 4, 1929. He married Othelle Bennatt.
1. Phillip C. Kiker married Nancy Tyler.
2. Becky Irene Kiker was unmarried prior to 1974.
Mrs. Irene BRASWELL Kiker of 169 Poinsett Dr., Sumter, South Carolina 29150, sent the information concerning her line. She was a teacher in the public schools of Sumter and planned to retire in 1975.
WILLIAM BRACEWELL, SR., SON OF RICHARD BRACEWELL (1651-1734)
1. William BRACEWELL, Sr., fifth son of Richard (1651-1734) and Sarah, was born about 1680 in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, and he died about 1765 in Chowan County, North Carolina.
2. William BRACEWELL, Jr. was born about 1707, Isle of Wight County, Vir- ginia. He died 1785 in Nash County, North Carolina. He married Margaret (?).
3. David BRASWELL, born about 1742 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died in Abberville County, North Carolina, in 1782. September 14, 1762, he married Nancy Rutherford.
4. William BRASWELL, son of David, was born about 1763 in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, and died in Newberry, South Carolina, in 1816. His wife was Susan (?).
5. Arthur BRASWELL was born 1800 in North Carolina and died about 1867 in Washington County, Georgia, C.S.A. He married Patience Pearce who was born about 1800, Johnson County, North Carolina, and died in New Orleans ca. 1848.
6. Asa Gordon BRASWELL, son of Arthur, was born January 10, 1827, Washington County, died May 2, 1862, Washington County, Georgia, C.S.A. He married Jane Bridges who was born June 7, 1823, and died March 9, 1905, Washington County.
7. John Arthur BRASWELL, born January 6, 1846, Washington County, and died March 3, 1929, in Adrian, Emanuel County, Georgia. He married Elmira Rebecca Smith, who was born September 8, 1846, in Washington County and died September 14, 1936, in Adrian.
8. Ella R. BRASWELL, daughter of John Arthur, was born March 25, 1869, in Washington County, Georgia, C.S.A., and died February 2, 1949, in Leesburg, Florida. She married William Henry Toler, born January 21, 1862, in Johnson County, Georgia, C.S.A., died April 28, 1948, Leesburg, Lake County, Florida.
9. Henry Quillian Toler has his home in Leesburg, Florida. He married Mary Gay.
JACOB BRACEWELL, SON OF RICHARD BRACEWELL (1651-1724)
1. Jacob BRACEWELL, eighth child of Richard (1651-1724) and Sarah, was born 1684 in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, and died sometime after 1762, probably in Johnston County, North Carolina. He married Elizabeth Ruffin. See page 13 for more details on his life.
2. The name of Jacob's son is unknown. If any one has this information, please contact me- JAB.
3. Jacob BRASWELL, who died about 1826, was the grandson of Jacob BRACEWELL, who moved to Johnston County from Edgecombe County.
4. George W. BRASWELL, born April 29, 1825, died 1882. His first marriage was to Cinthia Garner January 28, 1848, she died October 1859. His second marriage was to Kizziah Massey January 12, 1861. They had eleven children.
5. Jacob Ishmal BRASWELL, son of George and Kizziah, was born September 13, 1854, and died June 22, 1929, in Johnston County, North Carolina. He married Sarah Jane Pudin on January 11, 1876. They had eight children.
6. George Amos BRASWELL, born 1883 and died September 22, 1932, in Boone Hill Township, Johnston County, North Carolina. March 19, 1905, he married Julia Evans. They had thirteen children.
7. Fletcher BRASWELL, born April 3, 1921, Boone Hill Township, Johnston County, North Carolina.
8. David Neal BRASWELL was born November 16, 1949, Louisville, Kentucky. He was an only child. David Neal is a Sergeant in the Air Force.
David Neal BRASWELL's home is in Smithfield, North Carolina. He has done a lot of research on his line abroad as well as in America and his work has been proved by deeds and other legal papers.